+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock - Cardiff u23 Academy not good enough

Warnock - Cardiff u23 Academy not good enough

Re: Warnock - Cardiff u23 Academy not good enough

He's probably right about the lack of quality but he's really sealing the Warnock is a dinosaur image with those quotes about passing

not producing players with the skill set that warnock wants doesn't necessarily mean not good enough.

i agree with him and i,ve been banging the drum for years the whole academy system in the UK needs a radical shake up

Not sure sure about his views regarding defending mind !

For whatever reason our academy is useless

To not produce 1 single decent player in as decade is abysmal and just not acceptable

Well he certainly didn't bring in players who could pass, pass, pass. In fact that was one skillset he took, er, a pass, pass, pass at. Now Harris is trying to get players who can't pass, pass pass, to pass, pass, pass.

if you look at the type of players Warnock likes, they are tall, strong, direct, positionally disciplined and good defensively.
    several of those characteristics are more prevalent in slightly older players than they are in up and coming youngsters.
    our academy being good or not doesn't explain why we barely played signed or played anyone under their mid 20s the whole time Warnock was here.

I think you need to look at Neil Warnock's comments and ask is he talking about the Academy and Under 23 system in general or just at Cardiff City? If, as I suspect, it's the former, then it's being unfair to the two clubs we consider as our main rivals because both the jacks and the wurzels have consistently produced young players that they have been able to sell at prices that justify the expense of their Academies. We've not done that in a decade or more and, if Warnock was talking specifically about Cardiff, then the facts tend to support him.

I think anyone who has been reading threads on youth development on here down the years will know that I have always tended to be supportive, too supportive perhaps, of our Academy and the players it produces, but there comes a time when questions need to be asked as to whether we need one and, if it's felt we do, then something needs to be done about the way it is being run currently.

To me, it's really simple - if the players aren't good enough, then our youth scouting and recruitment set up is failing badly and if they are, good enough when they arrive here at an early age, then our youth coaching and development set up isn't good enough. It can be said as well that there has a short termism at the club which has always seen the attitude of let's go out and buy a ready made first teamer triumph over a let's take a bit of risk and that eighteen year old who could develop into something special approach. I've also been critical of managers who have been reluctant to pick young players, but, in truth, there have been too many of them for them not to have had a point.

This summer we had someone who has been picked in the latest Welsh Under 21 squad and is now at a Premier League club turn down the opportunity of another contract with us and, having seen how the club handled in the time since he signed his first pro deal with us, I don't blame him in the slightest. Also, if Harry Pinchard was ditched by us for solely footballing reasons, then that was, to use Yes Minister speak, a very courageous decision indeed. Our Academy is being poorly run and it's hard to see how certain people are still in a job.

All of the above relates to Under 18 football, as for Under 23 level, having seen us playing in the current set up for what must be ten years now, I'm on Neil Warnock's side - the old Football Combination system was far better for the development of young players. Once youngsters are old enough to have signed pro deals, they should be playing against seniors every week.

are they not getting first team football because they aren't good enough? or are they not good enough because they aren't getting first team football?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    are they not getting first team football because they aren't good enough? or are they not good enough because they aren't getting first team football?
    woah.jpeg

"I wanted us to play against the Welsh league [Cymru Premier] teams, places like that down there when I was at Cardiff."
    Warnock spoke for hours and hours on every subject but as far as I'm aware this is the first time I am hearing this. Am I wrong? I suppose he wouldn't be the first manager to have the perfect answer for his critics several months/years after leaving the club.

It feels that the academy has gone through a total review four times in past ten years. None of those reviews has produced a run of players yet but for a while we had passing football at youth level at the exact opposite at senior stuff.

For me, the most pertinent quote in that story is: "I was criticised a little bit at Cardiff about the Under-23s".

Like Donald Trump, Warnock has a fragile ego.

It’s difficult to judge the current set up, since the team has been knocking it long since the Warnock era and is only now emerging from that.
    Swansea and (to a lesser extent) Bristol City play more like their academies, so it’s easier to compare.
    It’s a shocking record, though.

The two best, Spence and Matondo, have left Cardiff. The talent was clearly there, the opportunities weren't

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    For whatever reason our academy is useless

To not produce 1 single decent player in as decade is abysmal and just not acceptable
    Indeed and not Warnocks fault either ,poor club vision ,planning and scouting

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The two best, Spence and Matondo, have left Cardiff. The talent was clearly there, the opportunities weren't
    To be fair, Man City came in for Matondo so we never had a chance of standing in his way, in fact we appealed against the move. I'm sure he would have made it to the first team if he'd have stayed here. And the jury's still out on Spence