Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
Paradoxically years ago when we only had BBC and ITV, no one would have said a word about both available channels showing this sort of programming.

The same would have been true when BBC 2 came on stream.

I think the view then was that effectively respect was being paid to the deceased particularly in the case of the BBC by a public service broadcaster and to show entertainment programs was not the done thing.

I know there is a discussion to be had about whether we should mourn a privileged individual when many more have died on the globe that day but that I'm afraid is the way of the world. You are not going to square the circle there, many will think that it is correct to do so whereas other will think it is a waste of time

Now ,when we have wall to wall TV channel, Netflix Prime Disney+ IPlaetr ITV Hub etc etc etc we grumble when 2 channels (3 if we count ITV) cancel their programs for the day.

I must admit I was initially a bit irritated when I saw that both main BBC channels were being used and I think that they could have had a bit more thought and not both shown the same things at exactly the same time, but then I thought of what I mentioned in my thirded paragraph above and realised why the BBC had done it.

I watched some of the coverage but then I had a wonderful thought. I am on Sky, I have a Sky remote and I could.......

Change channels and not watch the BBC for the day

Watched cricket instead.

I certainly wouldn't bother complaining about it. With respect to those of you who did, I find that rather petty in this day of almost unlimited TV. (Sorry TOBW, Jeepster, Mozzer and any one else who has done it but that is that is the way I feel)

Particularly when I suspect most of us rarely watch the BBC any way.

But its a free world
As someone who firmly belongs in the left and right both slag it off, so it must be doing something right, I still watch the BBC a lot, but yesterday set me thinking all of their critics might have a point. The fact it's a public server broadcaster should mean they should try to serve all of the public, including the sizeable minority who are either anti royal or not remotely interested in the Royal family. By all means, have extended coverage and reaction on one of their main channels, but there is no justification at all for it to be on both of them. Even worse though was when I thought I'd listen to some IPL or county cricket on 5 Live extra and found they'd stopped broadcasting it and then when I went on the BBC website to read their rolling coverage on the four day matches, they'd even stopped that!