+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle Takeover Done

Re: Newcastle Takeover Done

For half a century and more, Newcastle United have equalled cock up. That should change in the coming years, but are some clubs just destined to fall short continuously? Man City were that sort of club until around a decade ago, so it can be done, but I just wonder if Newcastle are forever destined to cock up?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    For half a century and more, Newcastle United have equalled cock up. That should change in the coming years, but are some clubs just destined to fall short continuously? Man City were that sort of club until around a decade ago, so it can be done, but I just wonder if Newcastle are forever destined to cock up?
    Chelsea were a fairly nondescript midtable club, but if i recall correctly (which is by no means guaranteed) they were more or less instantly elevated amongst the elite when the russian money arrived.
    Man City took a little bit longer to get to the top, it seemed they struggled to attract big signings as quickly, and there was one more big club up there in the form of Chelsea. Of course having all that money has to tell eventually.

Newcastle are now trying to compete with Chelsea and Man City + the traditional big clubs, so it is already a more crowded scene, and at a time when even a newly promoted side can splash 100m on players and go straight back down. suspect that they may take that little bit longer to establish themselves at the top.

Chelsea were always going to attract players as they are London based, Man City not so much , and Newcastle - hardly an outpost of culture.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Within the last ten years, Wigan and Leicester have won the FA Cup, Swansea have won the EFL Cup and Leicester have won the Premier League, while a mediocre Arsenal side has won the FA Cup three times, so there's no reason why Newcastle can't win something.
    Going by your logic with wigan and Leicester, they could have already……they never seem too. I don’t even recall if they’ve made it to a cup final in the last 30 years? Have they? Or semi?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bit like us, even when we get a very wealthy owner we are still shiiiite

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Chelsea were always going to attract players as they are London based, Man City not so much , and Newcastle - hardly an outpost of culture.
    Come on, mbappe has always dreamed of playing for the geordie stripers since he was a young lad

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Going by your logic with wigan and Leicester, they could have already……they never seem too. I don’t even recall if they’ve made it to a cup final in the last 30 years? Have they? Or semi?
    It's not my 'logic'. They were facts.

Newcastle were FA Cup runners-up in 97/98 and 98/99. They finished as Premier League runners-up in 95/96 and 96/97, and finished third in 93/94 and 2002/03.

The Manchester City comparison is a valid one. They had been nowhere near winning anything for decades until their current ownership took over.

It’s funny how they never question the Saudi regime when it comes to horse racing - the sport of kings, but a good working class game - the beautiful game as the fit and proper test..this deal should have gone through in 2017.

It's not my 'logic'. They were facts.

Newcastle were FA Cup runners-up in 97/98 and 98/99. They finished as Premier League runners-up in 95/96 and 96/97, and finished third in 93/94 and 2002/03.

The Manchester City comparison is a valid one. They had been nowhere near winning anything for decades until their current ownership took over.
    They had a good run mid 90’s I recall, was that with KK as manager?

A lot depends on who they install as manager and what players (if any) they can attract in January.
    Their fans will expect immediate results but it could still be a very long season for them trying to avoid relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They had a good run mid 90’s I recall, was that with KK as manager?
    93/94 and 95/96 - Kevin Keegan
    96/97 and 97/98 - Kenny Dalglish
    98/99 - Ruud Gullit
    02/03 - Bobby Robson

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I understand the hypocrisy but god I hope they get relegated
    I completely agree and it's not hypocrisy mate. Tan may have done a few dodgy deals but he hasn't funded Al Qaeda, bombed Yemen, chopped up journalists he doesn't like or beheaded homosexuals.

The amount of whataboutery going on from Newcastle fans online is unbelievable. It's moral relativism at its worst.

Would be great if some Israeli businessmen took over Sunderland…

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Would be great if some Israeli businessmen took over Sunderland…
    Zionderland perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Zionderland perhaps.
    For younger viewers, this is the art of wit

Both them and Sunderland are fecking big clubs mind

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Both them and Sunderland are fecking big clubs mind
    massive

Newcastle's average attendance the last time they were in the Championship (2016/17) was 51,106.

Newcastle's average attendance the last time they were in the Championship (2016/17) was 51,106.
    that's very impressive. only a handful of clubs would match that. they've been an obvious target for this kind of takeover for a while.

that said, it's always easier to maintain good attendances if you are only relegated for one season, and go straight back up.
    anyone having a prolonged period in the lower leagues like we did for a 20 odd year period is obviously going to be hugely detrimental to the attendance for a long period afterwards, as whole generations of potential fans had been lost. especially as during the same period the premier League was launched and went into a marketing overdrive.

Newcastle , Sunderland , Sheffield Wednesday big football clubs

Football is fanatical there

It's not here sadly

We have very passionate fans , it's just we don't have enough

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that's very impressive. only a handful of clubs would match that. they've been an obvious target for this kind of takeover for a while.

that said, it's always easier to maintain good attendances if you are only relegated for one season, and go straight back up.
    anyone having a prolonged period in the lower leagues like we did for a 20 odd year period is obviously going to be hugely detrimental to the attendance for a long period afterwards, as whole generations of potential fans had been lost. especially as during the same period the premier League was launched and went into a marketing overdrive.
    Swansea City had the glory years under toshack and that second spell that lasted 6 years ?

That breeds support

Drive through Swansea , you see lots of Swansea tops , you don't see that in Cardiff

Swansea City had the glory years under toshack and that second spell that lasted 6 years ?

That breeds support

Drive through Swansea , you see lots of Swansea tops , you don't see that in Cardiff
    I'm not sure if I would wear a Swansea top in Cardiff either......

That breeds support

going to football training with my kids you see more Barcelona tops than Cardiff ones. Most of the kids who do support Cardiff also support one of the elite clubs too

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Leeds went down to under 20k after a few years didn’t they? Kind of similar size to Newcastle, in fact I’m surprised some sheik hasn’t come for them, they’ll be next…..

Newcastle should probably look at the recent Hertha Berlin story to see how not to chuck huge amounts of money at a club. £300m invested in 2019 and chaos since...

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/hert...hat-went-wrong