+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How different is Bellamy's approach from City's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: How different is Bellamy's approach from City's?

I've found lots of these articles by Bellamy very interesting, particularly around the time of Jones and Mackay. Here, we had two contrasting styles of manager.

One, who could be strict but also let a lot of things go that perhaps he shouldn't. Inspired problematic players and gave them lots of freedom to express themselves on the pitch but lacked a professional discipline for getting his players to do the hard work. The other, maybe more primitive in style of play, but a hard worker and planner who had attention to detail and demanded nothing less than 100% from his players in all aspects.

Those are rough, basic comments about Jones and Mackay. I've always felt that history hasn't been all that kind to Mackay. Certainly, during his time with us he was a very popular manager, certainly more popular than Jones. My experience of talking to other fans at the time was that it was finally good to see a team that gave everything every game. Certainly Mackay's first season saw some great, attacking football and one of the best memories ever of that league cup campaign. I've always thought it unfair to castigate him as useless because of the Cornelius signing, or that he bought his way to the Championship title. Warnock, who arguably superceded Mackay's achievements, also spent lots on duds when we got to the Premier League. I have never heard of Warnock's style as a manager, but I can imagine him being someone who values hard work above flair, who works on preparation. Once the basics are right, then bring in the flair.

Clearly Bellamy sees himself as someone who would be meticulous to detail and constantly demanding of his players in everything they do. He believes that hard work brings reward. His opinion that it was Jones's lack of hard work in training and preparation that kept catching up with the team, regardless of how fantastically it could perform, and was ultimately why we never won anything with him.

I used to occasionally watch 'The Debate' on Sky. Bellamy always came across as one of the more thoughtful pundits on there. He knows the game, he's got lots of contacts at the top level of the game. He's reflective of his experiences and looks at what works and what doesn't. Being a 'reflective practitioner' is a buzz phrase that's been around for a number of years, where people analyse how they work in order to improve. Whether all that knowledge equates to being a good manager is something nobody will ever know until he gets a managerial position.

Re: How different is Bellamy's approach from City's?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've found lots of these articles by Bellamy very interesting, particularly around the time of Jones and Mackay. Here, we had two contrasting styles of manager.

One, who could be strict but also let a lot of things go that perhaps he shouldn't. Inspired problematic players and gave them lots of freedom to express themselves on the pitch but lacked a professional discipline for getting his players to do the hard work. The other, maybe more primitive in style of play, but a hard worker and planner who had attention to detail and demanded nothing less than 100% from his players in all aspects.

Those are rough, basic comments about Jones and Mackay. I've always felt that history hasn't been all that kind to Mackay. Certainly, during his time with us he was a very popular manager, certainly more popular than Jones. My experience of talking to other fans at the time was that it was finally good to see a team that gave everything every game. Certainly Mackay's first season saw some great, attacking football and one of the best memories ever of that league cup campaign. I've always thought it unfair to castigate him as useless because of the Cornelius signing, or that he bought his way to the Championship title. Warnock, who arguably superceded Mackay's achievements, also spent lots on duds when we got to the Premier League. I have never heard of Warnock's style as a manager, but I can imagine him being someone who values hard work above flair, who works on preparation. Once the basics are right, then bring in the flair.

Clearly Bellamy sees himself as someone who would be meticulous to detail and constantly demanding of his players in everything they do. He believes that hard work brings reward. His opinion that it was Jones's lack of hard work in training and preparation that kept catching up with the team, regardless of how fantastically it could perform, and was ultimately why we never won anything with him.

I used to occasionally watch 'The Debate' on Sky. Bellamy always came across as one of the more thoughtful pundits on there. He knows the game, he's got lots of contacts at the top level of the game. He's reflective of his experiences and looks at what works and what doesn't. Being a 'reflective practitioner' is a buzz phrase that's been around for a number of years, where people analyse how they work in order to improve. Whether all that knowledge equates to being a good manager is something nobody will ever know until he gets a managerial position.
    Good read! I see the Jacks have just appointed another Cardiff boy as their Academy Manager Mark Allen who was previously in the same position with Manchester City and Rangers! That’s two local boys in charge of the Jacks, how did we miss out on him?