Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
There have been a lot of discussions about our younger players and giving them time, will they be good enough, do they have what it takes etc? Some refer to them as kids. I see them more as young lads and think of much younger players as kids.

John Toshack at 16, Andy Dibble at 17. There are others.

So why are we so protective of players in their early 20s? I'm not having a go at them, I find it interesting. What do people think about this and what do CCMB members who saw these much younger players make their debuts think?

I stress I'm not targetting our own younger players or negatively critiquing them.
I think that it's a difficult situation for fans because we have a vested interest in the club from an emotional point. When a young player breaks through and shows promise or traits that have been missing then we as supporters will naturally become enthusiastic and in many cases, protective of these players, after all, they're as close to being 'one of us' as it gets, especially if they're local, and the protective arm of supporters will be extended towards them in a way not afforded to say someone like Dion Sanderson who had just turned 20 when he came to us and without any first team experience. He was regularly criticised for the way he defended, his positioning etc. I'm sure that he would've received less criticism if he had come through our system.

I think that the reality is that when these young players get themselves in a position to play first team football, they have to show that they are good enough for sustained periods of a match, not in flutters, they do have to adapt very quickly and learn from mistakes made, whether thats through inexperience or poor decision making. It's their big chance and they have to play the cards that they have been dealt, and rightly or wrongly, unless they make an impression, the chances will be limited. Is it fair when a young player comes into a side where the senior players aren't performing, Is it fair that these young players have what seems more scrutiny placed upon them? Probably not. But is there ever a perfect time for any young player to make an impression? This is the industry that they're in, the business side is brutal and they have to make the opportunity work for them. We as fans will always be protective and we will extend the love, the football clubs will not and i assume that these young players are aware of that.