Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
Personally, I think Christmas presents should only be for children. We all receive crap we have no interest in but that other people think we would like and we reciprocate similarly - and most of us would have already bought stuff we really wanted. I'm an atheist but it's a terribly vulgar consumer fest for me.
If you aren't primarily thinking about the baby Jesus simply look at it as a time to spend time with the people you love.
End of sermon
Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
Personally, I think Christmas presents should only be for children. We all receive crap we have no interest in but that other people think we would like and we reciprocate similarly - and most of us would have already bought stuff we really wanted. I'm an atheist but it's a terribly vulgar consumer fest for me.
If you aren't primarily thinking about the baby Jesus simply look at it as a time to spend time with the people you love.
End of sermon
People trapped in meaningless man-made traditions which have zilch to do with the birth of Christ. I agree with you.
All I would add is this; children like facts - tell them this is NOT the time of year that Christ was born and that it is an official birthday - just like the Queen has an official birthday which isn't her actual birthday.
Also, now that we have plenty of excellent star charting software available (much of it free online) that we can actually look back and see what was seen in the sky in the years and months leading up to the actual event, which all tie in perfectly with each of the 9 Bible references to the 'star' that was seen before His birth.

This video > THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM < provides all the detail which you will need, and those with limited time can start from 31 minutes into the presentation. NB: All the details in the video can be verified on any decent astronomy programme such as this >> Stellarium.