+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Joe Ralls turned down contract extension?

Despite a few misgivings about his injury record in recent seasons, I like Joe Ralls and want him to stay at the club, but in what universe is £12k a week an unacceptable pay offer? Until I qualified for the state pension in February, that was about 95 per cent of my income for a year, so, sorry, but I have little sympathy for anyone who turns down a wage the huge majority of us could only dream about.

The likelihood is that if he was happy with the offer he would have signed by now. Even if another club were to offer £1k a week more then that’s another £150k over a 3 yr deal, which anyone would be crazy to turn down.

My feeling is that he has been offered more elsewhere and is waiting to see if we can match that offer before the contact expiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    The likelihood is that if he was happy with the offer he would have signed by now. Even if another club were to offer £1k a week more then that’s another £150k over a 3 yr deal, which anyone would be crazy to turn down.

My feeling is that he has been offered more elsewhere and is waiting to see if we can match that offer before the contact expiry.
    I’d seriously consider turning an extra £150k over three years down if I’d been offered in the region of £1.8 million over the same period by someone else - my point being, is there so much need to go chasing the money when you’re a millionaire a few times over?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d seriously consider turning an extra £150k over three years down if I’d been offered in the region of £1.8 million over the same period by someone else - my point being, is there so much need to go chasing the money when you’re a millionaire a few times over?
    what if someone else is offering him 18k a week? I don't think I'd turn that down easily

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what if someone else is offering him 18k a week? I don't think I'd turn that down easily
    Clearly, there’s a point for every one where you have to think of the money you’re being offered, but, if I were earning £12k a week and my family and I were happy with our lives, 18k wouldn’t be enough for me to automatically up sticks - an annual income of almost £600k, apparently, puts someone in the top 0.1 of the country salary wise.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...llion-says-ifs

Clearly, there’s a point for every one where you have to think of the money you’re being offered, but, if I were earning £12k a week and my family and I were happy with our lives, 18k wouldn’t be enough for me to automatically up sticks - an annual income of almost £600k, apparently, puts someone in the top 0.1 of the country salary wise.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...llion-says-ifs
    You my not but most would happily move for an extra £312k a year.

For a championship player that would be massive. Ignoring bonuses, signing on fees and the possibility that this club would probably be in a better position to challenge.

All made up numbers atm to be fair, but as said above by someone else, if he were staying I'd have thought it would be done by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post

while 150 K isn't to be sniffed at for us mere mortals, its about 3 months money for that type of contract, spread over the 3 years, its a extra months money per year, surely wouldn't be a deciding factor when you are earning over £50 K a month ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    while 150 K isn't to be sniffed at for us mere mortals, its about 3 months money for that type of contract, spread over the 3 years, its a extra months money per year, surely wouldn't be a deciding factor when you are earning over £50 K a month ? ? ?
    I agree, but in 6-7 years he’ll probably revert to being a mere mortal when retiring from football. It’s no surprise that footballers squeeze every penny they can, when they can.

Despite a few misgivings about his injury record in recent seasons, I like Joe Ralls and want him to stay at the club, but in what universe is £12k a week an unacceptable pay offer? Until I qualified for the state pension in February, that was about 95 per cent of my income for a year, so, sorry, but I have little sympathy for anyone who turns down a wage the huge majority of us could only dream about.
    People seem to have a mental 'reset' when discussing footballers' wages, they've become so inflated in recent years. Imagine looking at your 'payslip' and seeing "£50,000" in gross pay, every single month !