+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Re: Don't do as I do, do as I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I thought the journalists at yesterday's Press Conference gave Johnson a very easy time. They had all day to think of killer questions to ask but flunked it. Not one pursued in detail the question of the 30 mile day trip from Durham and seemed to concentrate on the 260 mile journey which was easier to justify although not even that was questioned foresically. Why didn't they ask if Cummings stopped en route to buy fuel or use the toilet facilities at service areas which could have spread infection to others and would have been against the so called rules. Notably there was not a single journalist from the Mirror, Guardian or Observer in attendance. Presumably they were not invited to attend.

Johnson has made a terrific error in judgment by not sacking Cummings as when the truth comes out he could well come to regret his decision. Lucky for the government Parliament is in recess as Starmer would have a field day unlike his useless predecessor. This is a fiasco that won't, or shouldn't be allowed, to go away
    To be fair, Johnson was asked about the Barnard Castle day trip, but he just deliberately gave an answer that didn't reference it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    To be fair, Johnson was asked about the Barnard Castle day trip, but he just deliberately gave an answer that didn't reference it at all.
    Yeah from his waffling answer i took it that Cummings was in fact there.

I thought the journalists at yesterday's Press Conference gave Johnson a very easy time. They had all day to think of killer questions to ask but flunked it. Not one pursued in detail the question of the 30 mile day trip from Durham and seemed to concentrate on the 260 mile journey which was easier to justify although not even that was questioned foresically. Why didn't they ask if Cummings stopped en route to buy fuel or use the toilet facilities at service areas which could have spread infection to others and would have been against the so called rules. Notably there was not a single journalist from the Mirror, Guardian or Observer in attendance. Presumably they were not invited to attend.

Johnson has made a terrific error in judgment by not sacking Cummings as when the truth comes out he could well come to regret his decision. Lucky for the government Parliament is in recess as Starmer would have a field day unlike his useless predecessor. This is a fiasco that won't, or shouldn't be allowed, to go away
    To be fair, not been offered a follow-up makes a big difference as questions can't be restated when they are initially ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    "Whilst the strategy of attempting to argue that Mr. Cummings' conduct was within government guidelines is insulting and distressing to those who have made terrible sacrifices by staying indoors away from family, it also clears the "we're all in this together" smokescreen to reveal a political plane where different rules apply."

This is the crux of it and why the arrogant fool should fall on his sword.
    If he doesn't he should have his collar felt like the many others beforehand referenced in the article.
    His boss too!
    Durham police chief asks force to investigate Dominic Cummings

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/uS1yAU

Hoorah! Is it only a matter of when?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    To be fair, not been offered a follow-up makes a big difference as questions can't be restated when they are initially ignored.
    Some were invited to follow up in which case journalists should have asked specific questions such as did Cummings go on a day trip to Barnard Castle? Yes or No?

Some were invited to follow up in which case journalists should have asked specific questions such as did Cummings go on a day trip to Barnard Castle? Yes or No?
    OK, fair enough. Tbh, the only ones I recall getting a follow-up were those who forced another question in without invitation before there was a chance to cut them off. Maybe I misremembered that though. Either way I’m all for them doing a better job of holding the government to account.

Dominic Cummings is to make a public statement this afternoon

He will also take questions

I thought the journalists at yesterday's Press Conference gave Johnson a very easy time. They had all day to think of killer questions to ask but flunked it.
    I don't think that's fair. There were technical issues (conveniently) and several of the most prominent journalists were not given an opportunity to follow up on questions that they had asked but which Johnson swerved. The whole thing was a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can I ask do you have any evidence that any of us self righteous hypocrites on here made two car journeys (I assume he went by car and didn't use public transport) totalling 520 miles (not to mention another reported round trip of sixty miles) while suffering from virus symptoms at a time when it was at its peak?
    I don't think for the minute you expect me to say yes. But you don't have to travel on an imaginary trip of 60 miles to qualify

Good letter in todays echo from Penarth. First critical of Professor Drakeford for his evasive answering to questions concerning lack of testing in care homes, then him saying that his government care deeply about all Welsh care homes. Then he says he has no idea what the R rate is in Wales as he hasn't seen it for 2 weeks.

But the thing that really got me was the writer saying that an elderly lady sitting on her own on the beach in Penarth reading a book was moved on by the police as she wasn't exercising. Hypocritical or what?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't think that's fair. There were technical issues (conveniently) and several of the most prominent journalists were not given an opportunity to follow up on questions that they had asked but which Johnson swerved. The whole thing was a farce.
    The only technical issue was the one from the BBC - the very first question - but he got a chance later on. I agree Johnson swerved some questions but that was because specific questions requiring a Yes or NO answer were not asked. It was indeed a farce. I'm looking forward to see Cummings in action. I've got a feeling that if questions get too probing he will tell the journalist to FO as he's as arrogant individual.

Re: Don't do as I do, do as I say.o

The only technical issue was the one from the BBC - the very first question - but he got a chance later on. I agree Johnson swerved some questions but that was because specific questions requiring a Yes or NO answer were not asked. It was indeed a farce. I'm looking forward to see Cummings in action. I've got a feeling that if questions get too probing he will tell the journalist to FO as he's as arrogant individual.
    In his statement yesterday whilst defending DC, Boris said as a one liner that there were health issues that he did not want to elaborate on. Maybe we will hear more from DC this afternoon, but if he, his wife, or particularly his child have underlying health problems, that might go some way to explaining things

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's difficult to disagree with any of that. All seem pretty unanimous in their condemnation of Johnson.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    In his statement yesterday whilst defending DC, Boris said as a one liner that there were health issues that he did not want to elaborate on. Maybe we will hear more from DC this afternoon, but if he, his wife, or particularly his child have underlying health problems, that might go some way to explaining things
    How may thousands/millions of Britons have underlying health problems? There's no excuse for him and his wife to travel 250 miles whilst having coronavirus. He's Dominic Cummings FFS - I think his family might have been able to find some local support if they required it.

Heisenberg

Twitter was awash with rumours last night that Cummings' son is autistic and that is now somehow going to excuse his actions. As if it makes any difference whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Oh come on. If his child has underlying health conditions locking him in a car for a 260 mile journey with someone with coronavirus isnt the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    How may thousands/millions of Britons have underlying health problems? There's no excuse for him and his wife to travel 250 miles whilst having coronavirus. He's Dominic Cummings FFS - I think his family might have been able to find some local support if they required it.
    thats very bold of you,any view on the massed media outside hos us not observing 2 meter rule and the many 100's who ignored the government advise and probably infected a lot of unfortunate souls .

Twitter was awash with rumours last night that Cummings' son is autistic and that is now somehow going to excuse his actions. As if it makes any difference whatsoever.
    do you have an autistic child

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    thats very bold of you,any view on the massed media outside hos us not observing 2 meter rule and the many 100's who ignored the government advise and probably infected a lot of unfortunate souls .
    They’re ****ing idiots and should be ashamed.

Why would that make a difference?

Some of the most bizarre arguments are being used to defend this. The weirdest use of whataboutism I’ve seen.

Heisenberg

What's very bold of me?

The "massed media" were just following the new guidelines, I guess - or maybe they were all from the same household?

Heisenberg

My friends do... And guess what - no travelling to Durham for them when the husband had symptoms and the wife didn't.

My friends do... And guess what - no travelling to Durham for them when the husband had symptoms and the wife didn't.
    I see sense your smell for blood.

Stay indoors