Thread: he was so cool

he was so cool

little johnny jewel

Re: he was so cool

Quote Originally Posted by + the native hipster View Post
    little johnny jewel
    R.I.P. Tom Verlaine

Thinking back to the bands you've never seen thread, I have to add Television to the list. I bought their first album and thought it was great, but never saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Thinking back to the bands you've never seen thread, I have to add Television to the list. I bought their first album and thought it was great, but never saw them.
    I was fortunate enough to see Television in 2016 at Bristol’s Anson Rooms. The line-up featured three of the four members from the Marquee Moon era, including Tom Verlaine of course. It was a good show on a really warm June evening. I love that album, still play it regularly.

Listened to ‘marque moon’ and ‘adventure’ around Christmas time, having not dusted off and played either in a long time. Wasn’t only Verlaine, but the guitars on the former record in particular are incredible still. Post-punk before punk almost. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I was fortunate enough to see Television in 2016 at Bristol’s Anson Rooms. The line-up featured three of the four members from the Marquee Moon era, including Tom Verlaine of course. It was a good show on a really warm June evening. I love that album, still play it regularly.
    I loved Marquee Moon and I loved that venue, saw the what stripes there in 2001 just before they exploded.
    It seems so intimate for a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Listened to ‘marque moon’ and ‘adventure’ around Christmas time, having not dusted off and played either in a long time. Wasn’t only Verlaine, but the guitars on the former record in particular are incredible still. Post-punk before punk almost. RIP.
    Well said - “post punk before punk almost” is a good way of putting it.

RIP

I had never heard any television , someone said give interpol a listen then I got into television in reverse as it were

I remember listening to Television on Radio Piccadilly on a tinny transistor radio in 1976 or very early 1977.

The James Stanage show - where I heard all my early musical influences from the early 70s until I left home.

Patti Smith had just toured the UK (Stanage was a massive fan), and she was followed by Television and Blondie as one pair from the New York CBGB scene, and Talking Heads with the Ramones as the second pair. Not natural pairings, but somehow the contrasts worked.

Until I read the obituaries I thought Tom Verlaine used his own name - but Thomas Miller took the name of French poet Paul Verlaine for his stage persona. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I remember listening to Television on Radio Piccadilly on a tinny transistor radio in 1976 or very early 1977.

The James Stanage show - where I heard all my early musical influences from the early 70s until I left home.

Patti Smith had just toured the UK (Stanage was a massive fan), and she was followed by Television and Blondie as one pair from the New York CBGB scene, and Talking Heads with the Ramones as the second pair. Not natural pairings, but somehow the contrasts worked.

Until I read the obituaries I thought Tom Verlaine used his own name - but Thomas Miller took the name of French poet Paul Verlaine for his stage persona. I like that.
    or just to make his initials t v