+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football Commentators, The Accused

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Football Commentators, The Accused

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    You're leaving yourself open to abuse on here mate expressing those sentiments ! Although I'm not quite as anti-woman as you appear to be, broadly speaking I'm in your camp.

For me the worse female match commentator is Vicki Sparks. I hate her voice with a passion. She speaks in tired old clichés and uses ridiculous inflections in her voice to generate excitement. She even copied the famous Agueerrrro commentary, the one when his late goal won the league for Man City. Leicester scored and she screamed out Vaaarrrrrdy in the same drawn out fashion and sounded like a wailing banshee.

The worse co-commentator by far us Karen Carney. Horrible nasal twang and a lazy way of speaking. She takes hindsight to a new level. If a player has a shot saved by placing it high, she says he should have hit it low and vice versa. Hope the BBC get rid of her ASAP.
    I agree completely about Vicki Sparks, I can't listen to her for long, apart from that, the women commentators don't bother me and someone like Alex Scott is a better analyst than most of the men,

As for the men, I've never really got why Martin Tyler is so highly rated, same with Motson - Barry Davies was much better than him. Guy Mowbray's alright and I don't mind Johnathan Pearce when he commentates naturally rather than acting at it like he did in his early days. I think Steve Wilson is the best of the current crop though and although the "part Geordie" sounds like a full Geordie to me, I enjoy listening to John Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree completely about Vicki Sparks, I can't listen to her for long, apart from that, the women commentators don't bother me and someone like Alex Scott is a better analyst than most of the men,

As for the men, I've never really got why Martin Tyler is so highly rated, same with Motson - Barry Davies was much better than him. Guy Mowbray's alright and I don't mind Johnathan Pearce when he commentates naturally rather than acting at it like he did in his early days. I think Steve Wilson is the best of the current crop though and although the "part Geordie" sounds like a full Geordie to me, I enjoy listening to John Murray.
    Do we really need analysts ? Jamie Carragher, Neville spout on before, during and after every game and it's just jibberish. One of the delights of a wet Saturday afternoon when City were away was to sit in front of Gillette Soccer Saturday and enjoy a few middle aged blokes - just like you'd meet at a game - tutting, shaking their heads, having a laugh, a moan. The last thing I want is some smart-arsed bloke or woman explaining the finer points of kicking a bit of leather and plastic around the pitch..

There’s more talking on football highlights shows, than there is action.

I record and fast forward

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    There’s more talking on football highlights shows, than there is action.

I record and fast forward
    I do the same with your posts on here.

Just teasing, old fruit

Tyldesley has got to be the worst ever.
    Completely OTT and would be better suited to radio commentary as he would make the listener think the drab nil nil was a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Do we really need analysts ? Jamie Carragher, Neville spout on before, during and after every game and it's just jibberish. One of the delights of a wet Saturday afternoon when City were away was to sit in front of Gillette Soccer Saturday and enjoy a few middle aged blokes - just like you'd meet at a game - tutting, shaking their heads, having a laugh, a moan. The last thing I want is some smart-arsed bloke or woman explaining the finer points of kicking a bit of leather and plastic around the pitch..
    If an analyst tells me something about a game I hadn’t noticed I’ve got no problem with them and Alex Scott has done that a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Thinking of Tyler, here's a comparison with Motty for Gerrard's leveller in the 2006 FA Cup final.

I reckon we'd all have different opinions on this and think it's good to have a head to head. My vote goes for Tyler. I prefer the way he lets the crowd paint the picture in the immediate aftermath of the goal. It was a 'wow' moment. It was not only one of the greatest ever FA cup final goals, but in the context of how it happened, it was even more unbelievable. Listening to the crowd for several seconds before a simple "stunning". Not much more to say. Sometimes commentators want to use a load of words to describe an event, where pictures and crowd sound would suffice. Barry Davies was the master at it and Tyler is probably second to him in that. I felt that Motty wanted to ram a load of words over the airwaves and it detracted slightly from the moment.

I'd be very interested in other people's views on this.

Barry Davies was the best by a country mile. In addition to being an excellent commentator he also knew when to say nothing. 'You sure do miss the silence when it's gone.'

StT.
    <><