+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What about when it’s frigging freezing cold, I suppose they’ll get the “patio fires” out and pollute the atmosphere
    People will sit out if it's cold in my opinion, even if it's for a sandwich, quick coffee etc. The biggest problem in cardiff is the wind and horizontal rain, it's never that cold here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    . The biggest problem in cardiff is the wind and horizontal rain, it's never that cold here.
    The biggest problem is that the city centre is a ghost town. What’s the point of all of this? There is nobody to serve. I live in England and come back here a few times a year. I went into town today and was quite shocked. Admittedly I do live near Covid-bashing bishops stortford, where as other posters have reported we live in a sort of bustling Eutopia of socially distanced coronavirus defiance. But even so... if it wasn’t for the bin men emptying the (presumably already empty) bins, I’d not have seen a single person on my walk from westgate st to the civic centre at 9.30am. It’s not quiet, it is dead.

And those yellow lines.... Jesus wept. I get that the council feels the need to do something, but all the same, someone must have realised what a colossal waste of time and effort that was. By lunchtime there were a few people about, none of them paying any attention to the yellow markings. I particularly like the ones where you can walk in either direction anyway. Could they at least have done it in a way that was more easily reversible?

I’ve heard quite a few people say that Wales was a bit more cautious than England but I hadn’t realised the extent of it, it was quite upsetting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The biggest problem is that the city centre is a ghost town. What’s the point of all of this? There is nobody to serve. I live in England and come back here a few times a year. I went into town today and was quite shocked. Admittedly I do live near Covid-bashing bishops stortford, where as other posters have reported we live in a sort of bustling Eutopia of socially distanced coronavirus defiance. But even so... if it wasn’t for the bin men emptying the (presumably already empty) bins, I’d not have seen a single person on my walk from westgate st to the civic centre at 9.30am. It’s not quiet, it is dead.

And those yellow lines.... Jesus wept. I get that the council feels the need to do something, but all the same, someone must have realised what a colossal waste of time and effort that was. By lunchtime there were a few people about, none of them paying any attention to the yellow markings. I particularly like the ones where you can walk in either direction anyway. Could they at least have done it in a way that was more easily reversible?

I’ve heard quite a few people say that Wales was a bit more cautious than England but I hadn’t realised the extent of it, it was quite upsetting to see.
    You desperately need a new name

I've just come back from town, it was really busy. Loads of places with tables outside filled with people eating and drinking. The new covered areas look great, the yellow lines don't bother me in the slightest being that there's single or double yellow lines on most of the roads in the country so I'm used to seeing them. We grabbed some food from the market and went to sit on the grass in the (free entry) castle. Good times all round

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

I've just come back from town, it was really busy. Loads of places with tables outside filled with people eating and drinking. The new covered areas look great, the yellow lines don't bother me in the slightest being that there's single or double yellow lines on most of the roads in the country so I'm used to seeing them. We grabbed some food from the market and went to sit on the grass in the (free entry) castle. Good times all round
    I went into town on Sunday, it was very healthy, people drinking and eating along ST Mary's street, very busy, queen st was busy enough with shoppers. I don't take any notice of the markings on the paved areas, nobody else seems to either. There wasn't much balance on here when this Covid shit kicked off and there doesn't seem to be much now that we are starting to come out of it, i guess alot of people have difficulty using their imagination and taking the positives out of things. I'd even go as far as to say that a lot of white middle aged men come across as quite spoilt.

Funnily enough I was just about to post because I've been out for a wander at lunch time today- it is like a different city today! You wouldn't say it was busy, but there were loads of people shopping (there were queues outside many shops), and the outdoor cafes were full. Quite nice really. I probably underestimated the effect of the weather yesterday, but believe me - it was a post-apocalypse ghost town, home only to the bin men, traps and me. It feels far more normal today. And I can see the point in that area on Castle St now that there are actually some people in the town centre to use it. It might actually be quite good, although why they put it there and not along St Mary's st is a bit of a mystery.

The yellow lines look stupid and are pointless. Why bother putting yellow markings all over the pavement to tell me I can walk both ways along it?! I'm not angry about it, it just reminds me of busy work that people in my organisation are sometimes given. Deep down everyone knows that it is a massive waste of time and money, but we all know that councils around the country are doing this because if they don't they will be marching out of step.

Funnily enough I was just about to post because I've been out for a wander at lunch time today- it is like a different city today! You wouldn't say it was busy, but there were loads of people shopping (there were queues outside many shops), and the outdoor cafes were full. Quite nice really. I probably underestimated the effect of the weather yesterday, but believe me - it was a post-apocalypse ghost town, home only to the bin men, traps and me. It feels far more normal today. And I can see the point in that area on Castle St now that there are actually some people in the town centre to use it. It might actually be quite good, although why they put it there and not along St Mary's st is a bit of a mystery.

The yellow lines look stupid and are pointless. Why bother putting yellow markings all over the pavement to tell me I can walk both ways along it?! I'm not angry about it, it just reminds me of busy work that people in my organisation are sometimes given. Deep down everyone knows that it is a massive waste of time and money, but we all know that councils around the country are doing this because if they don't they will be marching out of step.
    The Council and other local authorities could save themselves so much money if they were allowed to put up signs saying things like 'Use your Common sense' Work it out for yourself' and even 'Sometimes, things change that might be a bit of an inconvenience for a short time, It'll all be fine!' Reckon it'd work?

Totally agree with the fact the ones saying you can walk both ways are pointless, I'd argue maybe there's some benefit to the other ones, assuming at least some people adhere to them therefore creating a bit more social distancing. Can't say they bother me or "ruin the city" though, they're just some more lines on the ground.

Glad you had a better time at lunch anyway, the key factor is of course the weather

Totally agree with the fact the ones saying you can walk both ways are pointless, I'd argue maybe there's some benefit to the other ones, assuming at least some people adhere to them therefore creating a bit more social distancing. Can't say they bother me or "ruin the city" though, they're just some more lines on the ground.

Glad you had a better time at lunch anyway, the key factor is of course the weather
    Agree they don't "ruin the city", although I do think it is detremental and seems to have been put down with an unncessary degree of permanance. To be honest it would make no sense for anybody to use them when town was as quiet as it was yesterday. And the visual impact is so much greater when it is desloate. It didn't stand out anywhere near as much today, and I imagine that they may actually provide some very limited function on a busy Saturday afternoon. Yesterday it just looked like folly - planning for people who simply weren't there. I had assumed that was the new normal, but today proved me wrong. It makes a bit more sense today.

Agree they don't "ruin the city", although I do think it is detremental and seems to have been put down with an unncessary degree of permanance. To be honest it would make no sense for anybody to use them when town was as quiet as it was yesterday. And the visual impact is so much greater when it is desloate. It didn't stand out anywhere near as much today, and I imagine that they may actually provide some very limited function on a busy Saturday afternoon. Yesterday it just looked like folly - planning for people who simply weren't there. I had assumed that was the new normal, but today proved me wrong. It makes a bit more sense today.
    You should change it to Reasonable Nick mate, I think this the first time I've ever seen someone on the internet not only prepared to change their mind, but also to admit to it

I've just come back from town, it was really busy.
    It was the busiest this afternoon that I've seen it post-lockdown. I was genuinely surprised. Youngsters everywhere.

Questions for parents: is it now officially the summer holidays for the kids? If so, are they more likely to be out and about than they were a couple of weeks ago? Were they really staying indoors doing home schooling during what was supposed to be term time?

I went and had a look at the seating area. It's shit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I went and had a look at the seating area. It's shit.
    I would love to have watched you go and have a look at the seating area...stomping over there, a roll of the eyes, maybe a muttered "load of f**king bollocks" before stomping away again

I would love to have watched you go and have a look at the seating area...stomping over there, a roll of the eyes, maybe a muttered "load of f**king bollocks" before stomping away again
    You weren't following me, were you?

The only bit you missed was the reference to cupid stunts or something like that.

Anyone solved the buses problem yet? St Mary St was the obvious street to go 100% Continental, that’s where the majority of bars and food outlets are and would be managed by them, it would have meant minimal disruption and a lot cheaper no doubt. I’m wracking my brains to think of places in Castle & Duke Street that’ll provide table service, The Rummer? Revolution? The little Portuguese cafe? Or is it going to be an area for people to bring and eat their Greggs and Macdonalds delicacies? Are the tables allied to any establishments or are they free for anyone to sit there? If so, who is going to clean them in preparation for the next lot to sit down? From the photo I’ve seen it doesn’t look very inviting, I do hope the people that use the area treat it with respect and not have the ‘some other bugger can pick my litter up’ attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone solved the buses problem yet? St Mary St was the obvious street to go 100% Continental, that’s where the majority of bars and food outlets are and would be managed by them, it would have meant minimal disruption and a lot cheaper no doubt. I’m wracking my brains to think of places in Castle & Duke Street that’ll provide table service, The Rummer? Revolution? The little Portuguese cafe? Or is it going to be an area for people to bring and eat their Greggs and Macdonalds delicacies? Are the tables allied to any establishments or are they free for anyone to sit there? If so, who is going to CLEAN THEM in preparation for the next lot to sit down? From the photo I’ve seen it doesn’t look very inviting, I do hope the people that use the area treat it with respect and not have the ‘some other bugger can pick my litter up’ attitude.

The SEAGULLS Steve, the SEAGULLS, will leave them spotless

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    The SEAGULLS Steve, the SEAGULLS, will leave them spotless
    The GULLS won't clean up their own shit.
    There are no such birds as "seagulls", only Herring Gulls, which we normally call "seagulls", and Terns (the smaller white ones)

Anyone solved the buses problem yet? St Mary St was the obvious street to go 100% Continental, that’s where the majority of bars and food outlets are and would be managed by them, it would have meant minimal disruption and a lot cheaper no doubt. I’m wracking my brains to think of places in Castle & Duke Street that’ll provide table service, The Rummer? Revolution? The little Portuguese cafe? Or is it going to be an area for people to bring and eat their Greggs and Macdonalds delicacies? Are the tables allied to any establishments or are they free for anyone to sit there? If so, who is going to clean them in preparation for the next lot to sit down? From the photo I’ve seen it doesn’t look very inviting, I do hope the people that use the area treat it with respect and not have the ‘some other bugger can pick my litter up’ attitude.
    Why don't you Email the council with your concerns, or speak to your local councillor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why don't you Email the council with your concerns, or speak to your local councillor.
    What!!!!!! With all the knowledge on here? ..... Oh hang on, you were sending buses from Rumney, Llanrumney, Llanedeyrn, Pentwyn and other places from that way and buses from Whitchurch, Llanishen and other suburbs north on a magical mystery tour to somehow reach Tudor Rd the other day:

I've been wondering about this too. There's an app involved, of course. Local pubs and restaurants can pay to join up, customers can check the menus of the places involved and order through the app. As far as I understand it, the restaurant just has to come up with the meal and the rest is taken care of, presumably by some kind of Deliveroo type service.

I'm probably being thick but I can't work out how, for example, 2 steak and kidney pies, peas, chips and gravy, a pint of lager and a glass of wine are going to make their way from Churchill Way to Castle Street in one piece. What happens if there's a problem with the meal? Plates and cutlery? Or will you be expected to eat a steak off a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork? Toilet facilities?

Open tomorrow. I'm assuming the Council aren't just going to wing it but I'm missing something for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I've been wondering about this too. There's an app involved, of course. Local pubs and restaurants can pay to join up, customers can check the menus of the places involved and order through the app. As far as I understand it, the restaurant just has to come up with the meal and the rest is taken care of, presumably by some kind of Deliveroo type service.

I'm probably being thick but I can't work out how, for example, 2 steak and kidney pies, peas, chips and gravy, a pint of lager and a glass of wine are going to make their way from Churchill Way to Castle Street in one piece. What happens if there's a problem with the meal? Plates and cutlery? Or will you be expected to eat a steak off a paper plate with a plastic knife and fork? Toilet facilities?

Open tomorrow. I'm assuming the Council aren't just going to wing it but I'm missing something for now.
    Exactly, an eating area surely needs to be near the places that are providing the food otherwise it becomes a picnic area which in the UK haven’t got a good reputation for being litter free. Delmi is right, not sure if on this thread or another thread, some people in this country seriously need educating on the litter situation.

I think that's the general idea - giving restaurants the chance to serve up food 'outdoors' to overcome social distancing rules. A 20 minute wait for a cold[ish] paper plate of mush with plastic cutlery, warm beer, stinking portaloos.

It wasn't open at lunch time today. Or if it is, nobody was using it. I will check in again tomorrow.

Forming a view on the success or failure of this parasols-in-the-road-sitting-area-for-bars-in-a-different-area idea is sitting far higher in my list of priorities than it probably should be.

See, I told you so !