+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Attack or Defend better?

Attack or Defend better?

An interesting article....

https://www.theguardian.com/football...premier-league

We seem to have stopped shipping goals by the bucket load...BUT we simply are not scoring......so does not auger well....

Re: Attack or Defend better?

Why oh why isn't he playing Isaak Davies from the start? Let the lad loose and be free to play his game FFS. He needs to be on the park, not the bench. Is Morison just being stubborn? I don't get it. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Why oh why isn't he playing Isaak Davies from the start? Let the lad loose and be free to play his game FFS. He needs to be on the park, not the bench. Is Morison just being stubborn? I don't get it. What am I missing?
    I really don't get it. Meanwhile Vaulks seems undroppable despite putting in poor performance after poor performance. I'd like to see Davies up top with Harris & Colwill as part of the midfield 3 alongside Wintle & Ralls

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I really don't get it. Meanwhile Vaulks seems undroppable despite putting in poor performance after poor performance. I'd like to see Davies up top with Harris & Colwill as part of the midfield 3 alongside Wintle & Ralls
    I hope we get to see this combo and that Morison lets them play their game. I agree about Vaulks. I think he's getting it the wrong way around. Play the youngsters, build their confidence and bring on the likes of Vaulks, Pack, Collins, and even Bacuna at 60+ mins instead, if the youngsters are leggy, please, please stop the piecemeal starting eleven and crappy substitutions.

The way we're going is that we'll start wetting ourselves over 0-0 draws soon and start scoring winners in late March, early April when it really gets squeaky.

Which is why you have to hope that Morison will be back with the U23's next season.
    Am I the only one who thinks that he doesn't come across as being particularly bright in his media interviews, he seems full of clichés?

Clearly attacks win games.....another five for Fulham...so far.....with another Mitrovic hatrick....

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Which is why you have to hope that Morison will be back with the U23's next season.
    Am I the only one who thinks that he doesn't come across as being particularly bright in his media interviews, he seems full of clichés?
    I'm trying to stay objective because I have to admit to not really warming to the guy but I'm struggling now to see what his plan is. Yet again we had an extra player today for a decent period and by all accounts, Blackburn were rubbish after their goal.

It doesn't help when we don't play our best attacking players in Isaak Davies and Colwill. Without any creativity in the middle we are struggling for chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Clearly attacks win games.....another five for Fulham...so far.....with another Mitrovic hatrick....
    That's exactly it Maurice. Mitrovic signs a 5 year deal with them and in the interview, I saw he really loves the club. Meanwhile, our top striker's head is in the clouds.

I hope we get to see this combo and that Morison lets them play their game. I agree about Vaulks. I think he's getting it the wrong way around. Play the youngsters, build their confidence and bring on the likes of Vaulks, Pack, Collins, and even Bacuna at 60+ mins instead, if the youngsters are leggy, please, please stop the piecemeal starting eleven and crappy substitutions.

The way we're going is that we'll start wetting ourselves over 0-0 draws soon and start scoring winners in late March, early April when it really gets squeaky.
    Totally agree.....remove the old deadwood.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'd like to see Davies up top with Harris & Colwill as part of the midfield 3 alongside Wintle & Ralls
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Totally agree.....remove the old deadwood.
    Time for the likes of Pack, Vaulks and Nelson to move on. I'd like SM to show some bottle and revert to a 4-4-2

Everyone talking about attackers, but I’m pretty sure our scoring rate under Morison is an improvement over McCarthy’s early season team, it’s the other end of the pitch where we are really in need of improvement - we can’t go on needing to score two, at least, to win.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Everyone talking about attackers, but I’m pretty sure our scoring rate under Morison is an improvement over McCarthy’s early season team, it’s the other end of the pitch where we are really in need of improvement - we can’t go on needing to score two, at least, to win.
    Morison: 12 scored in 11 league games
    McCarthy: 10 scored in 14 league games

If you include the FA cup tie, we've scored 2 or more goals in 7 out of Morison's 12 games in charge. That's pretty decent I think.

Our goals against rate was 1.86 in the league under McCarthy. That's now 1.63. It's still too high, even if we no longer have the 2nd worst defensive record in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Trouble is at the moment we can’t score at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Trouble is at the moment we can’t score at all.
    That's not strictly true.

In Morison's 12 games, we've drawn blanks on 4 occasions. In the remaining 8 games we've score 1 once, 2 on 6 occasions and 3 once. In over half of our games under him we've scored 2 or more.

We are keeping the ball better and trying to play a more possession based game. But we are not very good at it.

Weve had years of direct football and we are easy to play against.

Long term it may prove successful but short term it could relegate us.

In the past a lot of teams wouldnt have enjoyed playing us. I think all teams will look forward to a game against us at the moment.

Isn't the football mantra to build from the back , and in doing create a strong backbone from the keeper through to centre half ,centre midfielder ,centre forward , then add around this central set up the talent and skills of young talent with pace and vision and yes risk.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Isn't the football mantra to build from the back , and in doing create a strong backbone from the keeper through to centre half ,centre midfielder ,centre forward , then add around this central set up the talent and skills of young talent with pace and vision and yes risk.
    Little known mathematical trick - if the opposition don't score, you can't lose.