+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dear Mr Gunman , this is why I hate the Premier league

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Dear Mr Gunman , this is why I hate the Premier league

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I think most folk would agree with you in general but

The Premier league is a billion pound business. The priorities of big business are not to fund small corner shop type of businesses. Their priorities are to deliver shareholder wealth.
    I don’t think it’s easy for supporters of football to appreciate that their priorities ie football (in general) are not the same priorities as the owners and Chief Executive Officers.

In finance terms It’s like asking Tesco’s to fund Mr Khans corner emporium. Not going to happen unless regulation or contractual changes are introduced to make the distribution of funds more equitable. Even then most premier clubs would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into any changes in their funding streams
    The Tesco analogy is not strictly correct. Tesco can survive, even thrive and make bigger profits without the presence of the corner shop. The Premier league relies on a steady supply of players, which ceases to exist if the lower leagues disappear. The Premier league is unsustainable in the long term without the clubs below them. There is an argument that shareholder wealth is increased by supporting those lower clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    The Tesco analogy is not strictly correct. Tesco can survive, even thrive and make bigger profits without the presence of the corner shop. The Premier league relies on a steady supply of players, which ceases to exist if the lower leagues disappear. The Premier league is unsustainable in the long term without the clubs below them. There is an argument that shareholder wealth is increased by supporting those lower clubs.
    Most analogies fall over under close examination. Best avoid using them as parables methinks.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Most analogies fall over under close examination. Best avoid using them as parables methinks.

I dislike being pedantic especially on this board but I’ve paraphrased the following explanation as to how the two things differ in as much as analogy is a relationship of resemblance or equivalence between two situations especially when used as a basis for explanation or extrapolation while parable is a short narrative illustrating a lesson.

I agree that I have used both however it remains that the big corporations are very unlikely to support a small one even though it appears to be in their own interest so to do.

I don't agree that lower leagues are necessary.

People would still watch even if there was 1 league with no relegation.

American sports have somewhat proved this (although understand college leagues etc)

Premier League could quite easily just use academy leagues.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

The Premiership can survive quite easily without drawing on any native talent