+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Eighteen years ago today.

Re: Eighteen years ago today.

Best footballing day of my life by far. Campbell will always be a legend for that goal.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Unforgettable day out.

I remember some fans from both sides being interviewed on the tv and being asked what their best songs were. City fans went with Peter Thornes magic hat whilst QPR fans offered Cmon you O’s

It was funny at the time and stands the test of time

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Best footballing day of my life by far. Campbell will always be a legend for that goal.
    His career effectively ended that day.
    He became a bench-warmer while Earnie was on fire, his cameo appearances became worse and further apart,
    culminating in that awful pelanty miss vs Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    He became a bench-warmer while Earnie was on fire, his cameo appearances became worse and further apart,
    Campbell talks about the penalty he would have had to take if it had gone to a shoot out in that interview - it doesn’t bear thinking about!

What a day that was....bit of a blur, lost voice....probably was the best day out I’ve ever had at a game.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    What a day that was....bit of a blur, lost voice....probably was the best day out I’ve ever had at a game.
    One of my favourite days ever.

It was ridiculous and magnificent that we were allowed to have the play off final in our home city.

Cardiff that day was great. Hardly saw any trouble, just a lot of happy people.

One of the best days of my life! I missed the game, and donated my ticket to my sister as our eldest daughter was being born!

She popped out in the morning, and I managed to sneak out of the hospital in time to see the game on TV!

Was thinking about it this morning during her 18th birthday celebrations!! "Did you know that since the day you were born, Cardiff have never been lower than a Championship team?" ... cue a bemused look! "Err. OK Dad ...so, where's my present!" ��

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post

It was ridiculous and magnificent that we were allowed to have the play off final in our home city.

I suppose it's not a lot different to when Liverpool play Chelsea or Man U play Arsenal in a cup final in London but it certainly must have helped us that day.

Regarding Andy Campbell, unluckily for him, as well as the goal, he will always be remembered for being a failure and a waste of a million pounds.
    However, that fantastic strike has repaid the fee many times over.

You'd have thought that after he'd got the monkey off his back he would go on to show everyone what he was really capable of.
    As has been said, Earnie was on fire and every time he played, comparisons always made.
    Most of us wanted him to succeed I'm afraid he just couldn't cut it.

It was such a great day, and following couple of months, knowing that we would be playing some top sides again and visiting some iconic stadia.

It's been a roller coaster eighteen years since for club and fan and Andy Campbell was the man who started it.

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    One of the best days of my life! I missed the game, and donated my ticket to my sister as our eldest daughter was being born!

She popped out in the morning, and I managed to sneak out of the hospital in time to see the game on TV!

Was thinking about it this morning during her 18th birthday celebrations!! "Did you know that since the day you were born, Cardiff have never been lower than a Championship team?" ... cue a bemused look! "Err. OK Dad ...so, where's my present!" ��

As brilliant a day and experience it was winning in our own City centre.

The evening after the game was an anti climax in being refused entry into a lot of pubs (Yard, Walkabout, Spoon and O’Neill’s) for wearing a Cardiff shirt.

This was common at the time, but visiting fans for other finals were more than welcome.

I remember 'camping out' overnight with a mate for our tickets. Firstly, we camped out in the wrong spot for the first hour. We took up position outside the Canton end (ticket office). But later we realised the queue was forming outside the Grange End. There were people with small tents and sleeping bags, food, etc - I had some black binliners to lay on the ground, while my mate had a large container of scrumpy.. talk about ill-prepared!

Qpr tried to get it moved as they said it was an advantage to us playing in Cardiff.
    The football league pointed out to them that Wembley is in London and they don't move the final if a London team is involved
    It was still a neutral venue so I don't think it was ridiculous at all.

What is your opinion of Brentford playing at Wembley this weekend?

I had to be back in London that evening so shot out at the final whistle. Walked down St. Mary Street with all the departing Qpr fans and the dog's abuse they were getting from the pissed up masses pouring out of the pubs had to be seen to be believed. Gracious winners didn't exactly spring to mind.

Never gets old. WHAT a goal! It's a perfect strike.

That's a nice story. It's funny how we relate certain matches to what was going on in our lives at that time

I have absolutely no idea how I got the 45 miles home or even when I got home, in fact I didn’t care.

"Behind the sofa, Andie"

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    "Behind the sofa, Andie"

Listened to it online.
    It was too much...I had to leave and go throw a basketball outside for extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Listened to it online.
    It was too much...I had to leave and go throw a basketball outside for extra time.
    I think I listened to it online too. I might even have followed it by text. So weird, only 18 years ago. Now you can watch pretty much any game you want to. I remember that purely coincidentally, the top of the Empire State Building was lit completely blue that night. Quite unusual for the time. Now it's lit up different colors almost every night.

One of the greatest goals scored by a City player when you consider the technique he used and the pressure of the moment , and strangely not the greatest players I'v seen in a City shirt .

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Yeah true, he'll dine out on that goal forever, I'll buy him a pint or ten if I ever see him. What a day.