+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VE Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: VE Day

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Maybe I’m just a cynic but I always get the impression the types to go out and spend a bunch on tea, cakes, scones, booze, bunting, etc would be some of the least likely to drop a few quid in a collection bucket or buy some food for a homeless veteran (or any homeless person for that matter). Also it was 80 years ago, 99% of the people celebrating won’t have even been born before VE Day.
    There’s no “good” side in war. The allies did numerous abhorrent acts on their way to victory. To me that shouldn’t be celebrated.

I don’t personally wear a poppy for various reasons but I do always take a moment to reflect on Remembrance Day and think the events held in memory of the dead are much more respectful than a VE Day celebration.
    Strange post.

There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that people who enjoy a street party etc are less likely to support veterans. I only know one person who has arranged one - her husband served (and suffered) in Iraq and her grandfather served in WW2.

I could speculate that the "types" who shun street parties but moan about them on the internet are significantly less likely to want to help out a homeless veteran, but there is no evidence for it, so I shant.

I agree that no one side is perfect in war, and the allies did do bad crimes, especially if you include the Red Army in that, which we should. But if you seriously think the servicemen we remember on VE day are comparable to Nazis, then I think thats a very ignorant belief and not one that stands up to much scrutiny.

Up to you whether you wear a poppy - thats the political freedom that many fought and died or otherwise had their lives ruined in order for you to decide for yourself.

I for one am proud of them, and see no issue in celebrating the defeat of the Nazis and remembering the sacrifice people made is the least we can do.

Now pass me the Victoria Sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Now pass me the Victoria Sponge.
    Always had you down as a Battenburg type of guy

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    More likely munching on a Blue Riband

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Steady on, anglicised to Mountbatten I’ll wager.