Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Cardiff is/was a brilliantly designed city. The main railway station is right in the middle of it and just think what is within a twenty minute walk of it. There’s all of the main shopping area, enough restaurants suiting all tastes for most people, Sludge’s point about music venues is a fair one, but the ones it does have are all centrally located, there’s a castle, a striking civic centre with a museum and university as part of it, there’s a strip of parkland running through the middle of the city which contains an international sporting venue, the country’s major sporting stadium is one of the first things you see as you come out of the railway station and Wales’ best football venue is within walking distance - there’s also another decent sized railway station at the other end of the city centre.

Mind you, it used to be even more brilliant, the very first thing you saw on leaving Cardiff Central was a bus station serving the whole of Cardiff and the surrounding areas, but, absurdly, that was demolished and the region has been left with an unsatisfactory mish mash that is clearly inferior to what the city had originally.

I’d still prefer to live in Cardiff if I could, but when I left five years ago, the writing was very much on the wall as far as getting about the west side of the city in a car or bus was concerned. It was nearly always gridlocked at certain times of day and the situation has got worse because of a major housing project which has been plonked on the north west of the city with little or nothing done to cater for the further transport difficulties it caused.

When you consider the distance I have to travel for City games with others, I don’t deserve sympathy, but living twenty miles or so outside Cardiff and its football ground has only brought home to me what a hard city it is to get into via car or bus - driving to Cardiff City Stadium takes a lot longer than it should and the problem is only exacerbated by having the railway service into the city shut for the best part of a year.

Cardiff, a lovely city which should be the envy of others, but the modern day decision makers are doing their best to ruin it.
Cardiff Central is a prime example of what is holding Cardiff back

It's far too small compared to Bristol Temple Meads , Newcastle , Leeds etc

And likewise the city centre , considering the population it serves just isn't big enough

The Millenium stadium is great if you are a rugby fan and go to two or three games a year but if you don't it's a white elephant and dominates the city centre to a ridiculous degree

It would be far better to expand the city centre and shove the rugby up on the M4 link Road