Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
Civil debate and acknowledging that we have different views are a thing of the past sadly.

You just have to look at the pile ons here or any other forum to see how venomous things have become.
It’s obviously a shocking event and yes things seem to have become a bit more extreme in recent years, and the vital skill of disagreeing but getting by is sparse. But your username suggests you are in the US, and as far as I can tell you guys are in the middle of a slow burning civil war. God knows what the results of the next election will cause.

It’s not that bad here yet. Covid hasn’t helped as it’s eroded the social structure of the country, but I’ve been heartened in recent weeks by the generally civil manner in which we’ve generally navigated things like extinction rebellion etc. From the outside looking in, the US looks like a powder keg waiting to blow, in particular due to the way that vaccination has become politicised (despite the Donald himself having the jab). We have serious issues to deal with and hopefully some of the issues around fair pay will come in to sharp focus now, but I think we are a long way off the death of civil debate here.