Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
As we see theextra prices rise on products like Heinz and others in difficult times for me is morally wrong and bloody greed instead of looking at this in a short term perhaps a longer view on profit is the best way forward.

I did a basic shopping match on between Tesco Brand and Lookalike Aldis products, like tomato sauce, bread ,milk , pasta ,yogurts, breakfast cereal ,jam baked beans , etc and saved £12 ..
Oh dear, oh dear. Reputable companies use brands and trademarks to convey to their consumers a particular quality of their goods and services and should enjoy a good reputation if they satisfy the consumer. Budget brands of baked beans could contain more salt or sugar, have lower quality values all round, the provenance of source materials may be questionable and hygiene processes may be inferior.
If you buy an M & S sandwich you pay a premium but you are aware of the quality of the item. A free market permits you to choose alternative brands but to imagine that they are always identical are obviously highly misguided.
I'm stating the bleedin' obvious really.