+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Len Ashurst RIP

Len Ashurst RIP

Just seen reports that ex-City manager Len Ashurst has died. He was with us for two seasons 82-84, and again in 89-91. Also known for his successes at Newport County. A sad loss.

Re: Len Ashurst RIP

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Just seen reports that ex-City manager Len Ashurst has died. He was with us for two seasons 82-84, and again in 89-91. Also known for his successes at Newport County. A sad loss.
    Had a sports trophy shop in partnership with my mates old man , in canton

Was watching an old Big Match yesterday from 1980 when they mentioned Ashurst as being favourite for The Bristol City job. RIP Len.

"Lenny Ashurst's bushy eyebrows" we used to sing, back in the day.

RIP Len.

Manager when I first started going. Hemmerman Hatton Bennet Bros Dibble Linden Jones Dwyer Gibbins Tong Lewis Mullen.

Probably still my favourite side

Remember him once saying that a big guffaw went out from the crowd when Dave Bennett got the ball - think he had the wrong word there.

Did a great job in 82/83 to get us promoted with no sort of budget at all and deserved his chance to manage the Sunderland side that he played so many times for.

Hsd a thankless task in his second spell with us, but did a better job than many of our other managers would have done in such circumstances.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    RIP Len.

Manager when I first started going. Hemmerman Hatton Bennet Bros Dibble Linden Jones Dwyer Gibbins Tong Lewis Mullen.

That would make an interesting thread. Mine is the Toshack/Clark era followed by the Tony Evans/Adrian Alston era.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That would make an interesting thread. Mine is the Toshack/Clark era followed by the Tony Evans/Adrian Alston era.
    Eddie Mays Division 4 Champions a close 2nd for me. Wrexham and Scunthorpe away were special away days.

RIP Len

RIP Len.

Yes, me too.

Sad loss.

Although Jimmy Andrews was manager when I first went to watch City, Len was at the helm when I first started going regularly.
    Thanks for the memories (and the bushy eyebrows).
    RIP Len.

RIP Len

One of our better managers. RIP.

RIP Len.

Same season as me. Dave Bennett still my favourite city player. Rip Len.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Remember him once saying that a big guffaw went out from the crowd when Dave Bennett got the ball - think he had the wrong word there.

Did a great job in 82/83 to get us promoted with no sort of budget at all and deserved his chance to manage the Sunderland side that he played so many times for.

Hsd a thankless task in his second spell with us, but did a better job than many of our other managers would have done in such circumstances.

RIP
    On the first day of his 2nd spell he took the first team and apprentices out onto the pitch to do some basic passing exercises. It was absolutely shocking. He then had everyone back in the home changing room, including apprentices, which was odd, and he said. " Right lads, it's obvious we've got a job on our hands, because you're all f ucking shit" it was a fair assessment.

Great manager for us and Cwnty

One of my favourite city managers, had a crap board to deal with but brought success.
    RIP Len

Sad news
    RIP Len ✝️

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Same season as me. Dave Bennett still my favourite city player. Rip Len.
    Ditto (though I now say Whittingham and Dave Bennet)

RIP Len

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Ditto (though I now say Whittingham and Dave Bennet)

RIP Len
    Good Shout

He did a great job for us on two occasions, with little or no money. The first time we had to sell Owen, the Bennett brothers and Dibble and replace them all with free transfers. The 82/83 team was a very good team indeed.

RIP Len.