+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are we going to sign anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Are we going to sign anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It seems that every year, I trot out the same comment. "We only need a couple of players, and we're there. If we spent £10m or £15m on three or four players, we'd get promoted". Okay, I know if we did go up, we'd have to spend a whole lot more, but my point is that, on paper at least, success is within touching distance.
    I wonder if fans of other clubs think the same?
    How anyone, in the current covid climate, can expect their club to spend £10m - £15m on players is beyond me. Most Championship clubs will be struggling to just stay afloat. Even though we have sold 13000+ season tickets, which is excellent, that is down a few thousand on last year, plus all the other match day revenue losses including away fan sales, hospitality etc

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How anyone, in the current covid climate, can expect their club to spend £10m - £15m on players is beyond me. Most Championship clubs will be struggling to just stay afloat. Even though we have sold 13000+ season tickets, which is excellent, that is down a few thousand on last year, plus all the other match day revenue losses including away fan sales, hospitality etc
    This is 100% true as finances are stretched across the football league, however a look at the current free transfer list shows that there's some serious talent out there. Whilst it feels a little champ manager and there are some of those on the list, like Wilshere etc, would be far from affordable with our wage budget but they would be in the minority and there are guys in there with and recent top end of the championship experience and we should surely be all over them?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stat...agslosespieler

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    This is 100% true as finances are stretched across the football league, however a look at the current free transfer list shows that there's some serious talent out there. Whilst it feels a little champ manager and there are some of those on the list, like Wilshere etc, would be far from affordable with our wage budget but they would be in the minority and there are guys in there with and recent top end of the championship experience and we should surely be all over them?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stat...agslosespieler
    Not too many on there any more, who would improve us or we could afford

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Seeing as we don't have any one to back up Osei-Tutu and Tomlin there's not much they'd need to improve on!!

Seeing as we don't have any one to back up Osei-Tutu and Tomlin there's not much they'd need to improve on!!
    who would you have from that list then?

who would you have from that list then?
    I'd 100% offer Gunter a pay as you play, I'm sure his influence off the pitch on the youngsters would be a huge plus, similarly Danny Simpson. I like Osei-Tutu and think that he'd learn for an older more experienced head, if we play our cards right I can see us taking him long term so developing him this way can be a benefit to us. Cuco Martina could also be an option.

Others on the list in terms of midfield would be Jackson Irvine, Pajtim Kasami, Raj van La Parra, Steve Defour, Andre Green and a long shot would be Alen Halilovic. All have different qualities and at different stages of their careers but would give us options we currently lack as well the majority providing experience of the championship.

I'd 100% offer Gunter a pay as you play, I'm sure his influence off the pitch on the youngsters would be a huge plus, similarly Danny Simpson. I like Osei-Tutu and think that he'd learn for an older more experienced head, if we play our cards right I can see us taking him long term so developing him this way can be a benefit to us. Cuco Martina could also be an option.

Others on the list in terms of midfield would be Jackson Irvine, Pajtim Kasami, Raj van La Parra, Steve Defour, Andre Green and a long shot would be Alen Halilovic. All have different qualities and at different stages of their careers but would give us options we currently lack as well the majority providing experience of the championship.
    Guter has signed for Charlton on a 2 yer deal, with an option of a third!
    when has anyone ever actally had a pay as you play deal?

Jackson Irvine was at Hull last year, who were shite
    Raj van La Parra is a left winger and we have 2 of those already
    Steven Defour is already 32
    Andre Green is another left winger, who's never really done much at this level.

Halilovic could be interesting.

Which is why we need to build our youth programme and be patient.
    Our current team is mid table at best so an odd one or two players, would no doubt improve us but, maybe up to 6-8.
    A very big gamble