+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: George Carlin religion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: George Carlin religion

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You're right. I don't understand how religion or the bible is up for interpretation. There's a doctrine and a book of stories and rules. If god is as described, why would a mere mortal think they had the right to believe some bits and not others? That's one of the biggest problems with religion. People pick and choose. And they flat out make shit up. There's nothing about abortion in the bible. But religious people are up in arms about it. Some of them literally break commandments over it. And yet no one wants to talk about Noah's Ark.
    In my opinion, it's because faith means so many different things to so many different people. Education, social standing, being poor, rich, middle income, destitute, Mental health, social and political views etc can be and are a factor in how people interpret faith. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that, most people that i know who do have faith are quite liberal people. If i went to another part of the world that may be different, although i would've thought that there would be a whole host of reasons for that.

In my opinion, religious institutions are like most things that have way too much power, and it's the people at the top who need scrutinizing and criticism. The huge group of people below them (us) have no power, yet it seems to me that they take the brunt of criticism from people who are opposed to religion. for me, that doesn't sit too well

Re: George Carlin religion

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In my opinion, religious institutions are like most things that have way too much power, and it's the people at the top who need scrutinizing and criticism. The huge group of people below them (us) have no power, yet it seems to me that they take the brunt of criticism from people who are opposed to religion. for me, that doesn't sit too well
    Great paragraph. Spot on.