+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 1 BARNSLEY

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 1 BARNSLEY

At least we didn't lose on the opening day of the season again.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Thought that was most encouraging.
    Giles most impressive. Wintle looks as if he’s going to struggle in the championship though.
    let's wait until at least a few games at this level to make that kind of judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    let's wait until at least a few games at this level to make that kind of judgement
    I agree.

I may be a hypocrite to some as I criticised Bacuna's position, and I didn't like the way we were asked to play, but I believe players need a fair bit of playing tome before being labelled not good enough.

Although, looking at who you quoted (blocked for me) I can see the angle. I'd ignore it.

I thought that was really poor. No composure, no obvious patterns to our play, just hit it in behind and chase, hopefully win a set piece

Bacuna as a 10 doesn't work, either play him in his proper position or don't play him

Good to be back.

No excuse for our inability to pass properly any time the ball is moving, bobbling, bouncing or being put under pressure.

Thought Giles looks decent, should rack up a few assists if he doesn't always pick out Bacuna

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No, I disagree.
    Perhaps the boy can improve but he’s nowhere near the standard at this point. That means he’s no more immediate use than a gifted academy player. Nothing personal, just how it goes is.

I don't know if it's just me but I though both full backs were not very good today. If we play 5 at the back then the wingbacks need to have bit of pace, ours just played the full back role in a back 5, which meant we are losing a player further forward. Pack and Ralls have no pace in the middle, Bacuna had an off day, but saw a lot of the ball. Collins was Ok, but there was absolutely no pace in the team, and the only player who showed a bit of class was Giles. Our back 3 were good though.

As for the question posed above about who was supposed to be covering the space on the left for Bagan, I suggest it should have been Bagan. But early days yet and McGuinness, Collins and Giles were making their debuts for us, and Bagan does not have much experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No, I disagree.
    Perhaps the boy can improve but he’s nowhere near the standard at this point. That means he’s no more immediate use than a gifted academy player. Nothing personal, just how it goes is.
    He was only on the pitch for 25 minutes ffs

We clearly missed Ralls when he went off.

The dominant midfielder on both sides. Unfair comparison for Wintle.

Re: CARDIFF CITY v BARNSLEY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Having just come back I stand by this, both teams looked rusty, it was pretty ugly at times, that’s not our best team. If we play like that after 10 games I’ll be worried but nowhere near worried yet.

Nice to be back!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We clearly missed Ralls when he went off.

The dominant midfielder on both sides. Unfair comparison for Wintle.
    Yeah his scrum half box kicking was sadly missed.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Yeah his scrum half box kicking was sadly missed.
    Winning the ball was. Easily the best CM on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I don't know if it's just me but I though both full backs were not very good today. If we play 5 at the back then the wingbacks need to have bit of pace, ours just played the full back role in a back 5, which meant we are losing a player further forward. Pack and Ralls have no pace in the middle, Bacuna had an off day, but saw a lot of the ball. Collins was Ok, but there was absolutely no pace in the team, and the only player who showed a bit of class was Giles. Our back 3 were good though.

As for the question posed above about who was supposed to be covering the space on the left for Bagan, I suggest it should have been Bagan. But early days yet and McGuinness, Collins and Giles were making their debuts for us, and Bagan does not have much experience.
    I though Bagan did well first half. NG didn't seem to do much. Flint was excellent defending balls into the box but I do worry when teams scamper around the edge of our box and find space. Phillips rescued us with a superb save in the first half.

Giles does look good and delivered some great crosses.

Giles looks a big plus..

Smithies should be in goal.

Moore and Morrison back and we are comfortably top half.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Winning the ball was. Easily the best CM on the pitch.
    He's got to do better when he has the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

Ng hardly got in the game at all, while Bagan managed ONE pass in the game to a teammate - and then he managed to overhit it to Collins who had to go tearing down the line to get to it. Also way out of position for the equaliser. If some "consultation" with MM and TC doesn't sort him out quickly we need to be getting a contract in front of Bennett asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    The moment MM was employed, entertainment went out of the window I'm afraid. He's a limited pragmatic coach who can put together a team of battlers but no more than that. If we had deeper pockets and with it more ambition, the time would be right to look further afield but we haven't so be prepared for a load of snoozefests this season.
    Agree totally with this. I'm ok with managers like McCarthy coming in to a club mid-season to instil much needed organisation and confidence, but to push on to the next phase with a clean slate is a different matter. It was great to be back but I have serious doubts about the coming season. The system seems king, with players fitting in to it (rather than the other way around). Some players will be more obvious picks than others, as a result. Oh to see some creativity and pace out there, oh to see a proper number 10 (Tomlin or Colwill), rather than more safety first backward/sideways passing and set-pieces being so important.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    Ng hardly got in the game at all, while Bagan managed ONE pass in the game to a teammate - and then he managed to overhit it to Collins who had to go tearing down the line to get to it. Also way out of position for the equaliser. If some "consultation" with MM and TC doesn't sort him out quickly we need to be getting a contract in front of Bennett asap.
    5-3-2 is meant to allow the wing-backs to push on because they have security of 3 CB's and potentially 2 CM's behind them to cover.

Nelson and Flint were covering the 2 furthest forward of Barnsley. Therefore, the issue was between Pack, McGuiness or Wintle.

Positionally, I think it was probably McGuiness for this incident but Pack is the most senior player and tactically was too forward in open play throughout the game so I'm saying he should have been more aware generally.

We can't call for youth to be included then hang them out to dry when they make an error - one of the senior players should be covering for them.

Forgot to mention - Giles looked dangerous whenever he could get the ball into the box, him linking up with Moore could get us a lot of goals this season,

He's 19 ffs, first full season as a senior pro as well cut him some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    5-3-2 is meant to allow the wing-backs to push on because they have security of 3 CB's and potentially 2 CM's behind them to cover.

Nelson and Flint were covering the 2 furthest forward of Barnsley. Therefore, the issue was between Pack, McGuiness or Wintle.

Positionally, I think it was probably McGuiness for this incident but Pack is the most senior player and tactically was too forward in open play throughout the game so I'm saying he should have been more aware generally.

We can't call for youth to be included then hang them out to dry when they make an error - one of the senior players should be covering for them.
    Bagan was shocking, when he wasn't hoofing the ball into touch he was just passing it to a red shirt. His being out of position for their equaliser was just one of a constant series of errors today. Needs to improve sharpish.

Bagan was shocking, when he wasn't hoofing the ball into touch he was just passing it to a red shirt. His being out of position for their equaliser was just one of a constant series of errors today. Needs to improve sharpish.
    They're not going to give you a contract Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Agree totally with this. I'm ok with managers like McCarthy coming in to a club mid-season to instil much needed organisation and confidence, but to push on to the next phase with a clean slate is a different matter. It was great to be back but I have serious doubts about the coming season. The system seems king, with players fitting in to it (rather than the other way around). Some players will be more obvious picks than others, as a result. Oh to see some creativity and pace out there, oh to see a proper number 10 (Tomlin or Colwill), rather than more safety first backward/sideways passing and set-pieces being so important.
    I agree. I burst of speed in midfield and someone to scare the sh*t out of defenders in free-kick scoring territory was the one signing that was screaming to be made on the basis Tomlin is unreliable.

In two minds about Bacuna. Yes he missed two gilt edged chances but he featured quite a lot and was at least noticeable.

IMG_20210807_231223.jpg

xg shot map.

you can see the 2 big bacuna chances on there