Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
If my calculations are correct, then so far in 2020 approximately 0.1% of the Welsh public has died within 28 days of a positive Covid-19 test, and we know full well that many of those people almost certainly didn't die as a result of the effects of the virus itself (although there are others who probably did die in such circumstances but who either weren't tested or whose deaths weren't properly recorded).

I'm certainly not a conspiracy theorist or a Covid-19 denier, but I've reached the stage where I'm now absolutely convinced that the ongoing steps being taken to tackle the virus are excessive and disproportionate to the risk it poses for the vast majority of the population.
But what about the risks it poses to the .1%? And the resources that it takes to help them and whatever the percentage of survivors is that require hospital care?

Also, I don't know where you got your figures from, but from the numbers I found, the death rate in the US of confirmed cases is 2% and worldwide it's 2.3%. Obviously, there are people who get the disease and never know about it or don't report it, but it can't be anything like 20 unreported cases to 1 reported one. Anyway, with the post-Thanksgiving bump we're supposed to get, followed by a post-Christmas one, followed by 2 months of mid-winter. Some doctors estimate that the US could see more than 500,000 Covid-19 deaths before a vaccine becomes widely available.

I know it can be costly, frustrating and painful. I've had family members pass away whose funerals I was unable to attend. Two family reunions canceled, a 96-year-old aunt (in-law) I may never see again. I'm sure everyone has a story. But to me, whatever it takes is worth it until enough people can get vaccinated so it's safe for everyone to get back to normal. Also, next winter, when everyone is coughing and spluttering on the coach I take into the city every day I'll be wearing a mask. I've thought about it in the past.