Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Second lockdown considered for Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54505436

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Second lockdown considered for Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54505436
    Reading that, Wales isn't doing too badly compared to the rest of the Uk - further confirmation of that here;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...navirus-uk-map

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Reading that, Wales isn't doing too badly compared to the rest of the Uk - further confirmation of that here;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...navirus-uk-map
    we have about 3.5 % of the cases currently, and about 5% of the population, so we're doing a bit better than other parts of the UK, but then the UK as a whole has handled this about as badly as anyone.

What is encouraging is there may be signs the second spike is more under control in wales

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    we have about 3.5 % of the cases currently, and about 5% of the population, so we're doing a bit better than other parts of the UK, but then the UK as a whole has handled this about as badly as anyone.

What is encouraging is there may be signs the second spike is more under control in wales
    Wales has 4.5% of the cases in England as opposed to around 4.5% of the population of England so the difference between England and Wales is marginal to say the least and the earlier claim that Wales is doing so much better than England and the Welsh are far better protected than the English is a bit of a stretch to say the least especially as the south of the UK is not so badly affected and the population of the Northerly part of Wales is far sparser than the areas most affected across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Wales has 4.5% of the cases in England as opposed to around 5% of the population so the difference between England and Wales is marginal to say the least and the earlier claim that Wales is doing so much better than England and the Welsh are far better protected than the English is a bit of a stretch to say the least especially as the south of the UK is not so badly affected and the population of the Northerly part of Wales is far sparser than the areas most affected across the border.
    Because I live in the county, I was well aware that RCT had the highest proportion of cases per 100,000 in the U.K. for long stretches of the spring/early summer and, if memory serves me correct, there were times when seven out of the worst ten counties were Welsh. The BBC link posted by delmbox states that the current worst Welsh county, Merthyr, is rated fifty fifth - that to me is a good thing and I don't get why you seem reluctant to acknowledge it.

Because I live in the county, I was well aware that RCT had the highest proportion of cases per 100,000 in the U.K. for long stretches of the spring/early summer and, if memory serves me correct, there were times when seven out of the worst ten counties were Welsh. The BBC link posted by delmbox states that the current worst Welsh county, Merthyr, is rated fifty fifth - that to me is a good thing and I don't get why you seem reluctant to acknowledge it.
    I wasn't referring to your comment or the figures in your area. I was referring to the post I quoted and to the claim by an earlier poster who considers Wales is much safer and is doing so much better than England when the figures suggest there is very little difference, if any, between the two. In my area for example the figures are probably half of those in RCT but I wouldn't be so bold as to draw any comparisons between the two and certainly not say Devon is doing so much better than Wales on the basis of the quoted figures. However I stress I was not referring to any comment made by you. I hope that clears things up.

Is probably worth noting that in this "second spike" in wales, Cardiff itself had been relatively unaffacted. However it has a high number of new cases today and a high incidence of positive tests (13%) so hopefully it doesn't start to spread in the city.
    I guess it could be students as there are a high number of those in the city

International

Is probably worth noting that in this "second spike" in wales, Cardiff itself had been relatively unaffacted. However it has a high number of new cases today and a high incidence of positive tests (13%) so hopefully it doesn't start to spread in the city.
    I wonder how many positive tests are within the student population?

The problem with students is most wont have any symptoms at all so won’t even consider a test. Maybe the University’s should set up there own test centres, I’m sure I read they had? With 40000 of them in the city we will need something a bit different to keep numbers down.