+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    This is where things get a bit iffy for me.

I know 3 people from Canton (all regulars in the pub), who had “Coronavirus” put on their death certificates, but all 3 also had terminal cancer.

Yes Coronavirus advanced their deaths, but was it the sole cause ?????
    Where do you draw the line? How would anyone even begin to work it out?

If covid had some sort of impact on quickening their death, I think it's fair enough to count them in the figures.

I don’t think establishing clear sole cause is as important as understanding the overall public health impact of Covid. If it has potentially advanced, or the pandemic has prevented treatment of, another fatal disease that’s important to know I would think. This seems to be best measured by excess mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I don’t think establishing clear sole cause is as important as understanding the overall public health impact of Covid. If it has potentially advanced, or the pandemic has prevented treatment of, another fatal disease that’s important to know I would think. This seems to be best measured by excess mortality.
    I think this informative piece on how Covid-19 deaths are calculated by the various organisations covers your point pretty well. Figure 2 in the study has a graph showing the spike in excess deaths against a 5 year average.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publica...eaths-covid-19

It is recognised that in just over 90% of cases those who died had pre-existing conditions. There seems to be an argument being made by some that these people were dying anyway so that the risks from the virus are being over-blown. I saw this rather inelegantly referred to as the "Harold Shipman" defence which somehow mitigates responsibility for how the virus has been managed in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think this informative piece on how Covid-19 deaths are calculated by the various organisations covers your point pretty well. Figure 2 in the study has a graph showing the spike in excess deaths against a 5 year average.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publica...eaths-covid-19

It is recognised that in just over 90% of cases those who died had pre-existing conditions. There seems to be an argument being made by some that these people were dying anyway so that the risks from the virus are being over-blown. I saw this rather inelegantly referred to as the "Harold Shipman" defence which somehow mitigates responsibility for how the virus has been managed in the UK.
    It makes you wonder if death rates in respect of the old and vulnerable will decrease in the next few years as they perished 'prematurely' due to Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It makes you wonder if death rates in respect of the old and vulnerable will decrease in the next few years as they perished 'prematurely' due to Covid-19.
    I guess that depends on how good we are as a nation going forward in managing the thing that caused the spike in excess deaths in the first place. Hopefully better than we have been to date!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Where do you draw the line? How would anyone even begin to work it out?

If covid had some sort of impact on quickening their death, I think it's fair enough to count them in the figures.
    And then you go and blame Boris for all the deaths.