+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    Deaths per million has the UK pretty much top of the league table. Boris is proud of his record.
    Pretty much the same as Italy, Spain, who had lockdowns far more severe than UK. Belgium much higher than UK. Also different ways of measuring. Doubt the PM is proud of what's happened.

Apart from that a pretty accurate and informative post.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Pretty much the same as Italy, Spain, who had lockdowns far more severe than UK. Belgium much higher than UK. Also different ways of measuring. Doubt the PM is proud of what's happened.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/...&values=deaths
    Second only to Belgium in the whole world in terms of deaths per million population. We are very close to Spain, but there's daylight between us and Italy.

Belgium count ALL nursing home deaths, whether coronavirus has been confirmed or not, which nobody else does, looking at the numbers of excess deaths, it is pretty likely that we are higher than Belgium and the worst affected in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/...&values=deaths
    Second only to Belgium in the whole world in terms of deaths per million population. We are very close to Spain, but there's daylight between us and Italy.

Belgium count ALL nursing home deaths, whether coronavirus has been confirmed or not, which nobody else does, looking at the numbers of excess deaths, it is pretty likely that we are higher than Belgium and the worst affected in the world.
    I doubt Spain & Italy have accurate data knowing their public services, but it doesn't make pretty reading I'd admit. If you consider deaths occur mainly in overweight, chronically ill folk, maybe our awful health as a nation contributes. I still doubt BJ is proud of this though..

I still doubt BJ is proud of this though..
    I've heard him state that he is live in the Commons, last week or the week before I think it was (time feels seriously blurred at the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I've heard him state that he is live in the Commons, last week or the week before I think it was (time feels seriously blurred at the moment).
    Semantics. True he's said he's proud of the Govt's response to the pandemic, but I think the OP was phrasing it to suggest he was proud of 40,000 deaths..

Semantics. True he's said he's proud of the Govt's response to the pandemic, but I think the OP was phrasing it to suggest he was proud of 40,000 deaths..
    They're linked, no matter how some try to deny it.

It is semantics. Of course, Johnson could never come out and publicly state that he's proud of a tally of 40,000+ deaths, but by stating he's proud of his government's response to the pandemic which has resulted in the highest death toll in Europe, he's effectively saying the same thing. To be honest, I initially thought he was taking the piss when he talking in the Commons the other week, but I guess that's just where we're at as a nation right now.

Banned

So he is proud of a response that has led to 40,000 deaths? Implies that he was also proud of the response that resulted in covid patients being transferred to care homes.

Here is one story of the impact those decisions made.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...re-home-victim

https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-c...care-workforce

When adjusted for age and sex, social care workers are more than twice as likely to die from COVID-19 compared to the general population. In contrast, staff working in the health care sector do not appear to have a statistically significant raised risk of death compared to the general population.
    This is the Question Keir Starmer led with on June 3rd. A little provocative, but nothing below the belt

This morning, The Daily Telegraph is reporting that the Prime Minister has decided to take “direct control” of the Government’s response to the virus, so there is an obvious question for the Prime Minister: who has been in direct control up till now?

And, Johnson's response

On the right hon. and learned Gentleman’s more polemical point, let me just say that I take full responsibility for everything that this Government have been doing in tackling coronavirus, and I am very proud of our record. If you look at what we have achieved so far, it is very considerable. We have protected the NHS. We have driven down the death rate. We are now seeing far fewer hospital admissions. I believe that the public understand that, with good British common sense, we will continue to defeat this virus and take this country forward, and what I think the country would like to hear from him is more signs of co-operation in that endeavour.

Banned

He's proud of his Government's record, you are here leaping to his defence. UK stand top of the league in deaths per million, you may think it's because our figures are more accurate, I happen to think it has plenty to do with sick old people being sent into care homes on the advice of our "Proud" (their word, not mine) Government.