+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is 'not passing to another team member' a tactic, or evidence of a lack of football ability ?

Re: Is 'not passing to another team member' a tactic, or evidence of a lack of football ability ?

A thank you to the poster known on here as Steve the Tea who posted this on my blog recently about the Middlesbrough game;-

"One staggering fact I unearthed was that in the first period we had just a 33% passing accuracy. In the second half it rose to 51% making a figure of 42% for the whole match. Middlesbrough’s passing accuracy during the game was approximately 50% better than our figure at 66%."

To put those figures in some sort of context, here's the Championship's passing stats for each team throughout the season;-

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...ship-2020-2021

What this shows is that Saturday was not typical of us - we may have some of the poorest figures in the division, but our 42 per cent against Middlesbrough would leave us a long way adrift at the bottom of the table if was our normal figure. So, I think it's fair to say our figures on Saturday were shockingly bad and I suppose the big question is could this be put down solely to tiredness? My view is that it can't,

Our position in the passing accuracy and completion tables tells us that it would be daft to expect there to be any real improvement in those figures for the rest of the season and I would say it excuses Mick McCarthy from too much criticism for them because there's little he can do about improving them for now - given the rapid turnover of games, there's not much he can do about it in training either. However, we really do need to make Middlesbrough a one off because I don't see how a top six challenge can be maintained if we see too much of such low figures in the future.

Re: Is 'not passing to another team member' a tactic, or evidence of a lack of football ability ?

My biggest criticism of our team and mainly of our defenders is how easily they give the ball away.

Hopeful balls are played down the line. Whilst I understand that I don't necessarily like it except when it works.
    When defending our penalty area under pressure the ball is too often played out to the opposing side.
    But for me the worst situation is when the defenders with space and time try to pick a pass and it goes to the the opposition and the worst culprits are the Centre backs who will often play a ball from midway in our half forward to mid way in the opposing half, often to Moore who is running towards it to receive it. On many occasions the pass is mis directed and when it does go to feet there is little that can be done with it. The guys have got to be brave and savvy enough to move forward with the ball and to better execute the pass .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A thank you to the poster known on here as Steve the Tea who posted this on my blog recently about the Middlesbrough game;-

"One staggering fact I unearthed was that in the first period we had just a 33% passing accuracy. In the second half it rose to 51% making a figure of 42% for the whole match. Middlesbrough’s passing accuracy during the game was approximately 50% better than our figure at 66%."

To put those figures in some sort of context, here's the Championship's passing stats for each team throughout the season;-

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...ship-2020-2021

What this shows is that Saturday was not typical of us - we may have some of the poorest figures in the division, but our 42 per cent against Middlesbrough would leave us a long way adrift at the bottom of the table if was our normal figure. So, I think it's fair to say our figures on Saturday were shockingly bad and I suppose the big question is could this be put down solely to tiredness? My view is that it can't,

Our position in the passing accuracy and completion tables tells us that it would be daft to expect there to be any real improvement in those figures for the rest of the season and I would say it excuses Mick McCarthy from too much criticism for them because there's little he can do about improving them for now - given the rapid turnover of games, there's not much he can do about it in training either. However, we really do need to make Middlesbrough a one off because I don't see how a top six challenge can be maintained if we see too much of such low figures in the future.
    I agree. Tiredness, fatigue, seems to have taken it's toll perhaps, but sitting watching the games on my laptop when Flint & Co thump a long ball out of defence, I wait in anticipation for the camera to catch up and see who's the recipient. Usually it's a patch of grass.

It does beg the question, would you prefer a Dave Jones nearly-men team that plays thrilling football on occasions or a big, strong Stoke-esque side that lack the niceties but achieve relative success.

Of course the answer is somewhere in between but is that possible with this group of players ? Have they got the ability individually and/or collectively to adopt a fluent passing game ?

In the short term the answer to my last question is I suspect a resounding no. As for long term, well it's over to you Mick (probably !).

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    It does beg the question, would you prefer a Dave Jones nearly-men team that plays thrilling football on occasions or a big, strong Stoke-esque side that lack the niceties but achieve relative success.

Of course the answer is somewhere in between but is that possible with this group of players ? Have they got the ability individually and/or collectively to adopt a fluent passing game ?

In the short term the answer to my last question is I suspect a resounding no. As for long term, well it's over to you Mick (probably !).
    The Dave Jones' sides would probably have been the best equipped to improve upon in the PL, but as you say we flattered to deceive at times. Warnock's promotion side was probably the closest to getting the right balance, and but for a point or two would have stayed up..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The Dave Jones' sides would probably have been the best equipped to improve upon in the PL, but as you say we flattered to deceive at times. Warnock's promotion side was probably the closest to getting the right balance, and but for a point or two would have stayed up..
    From what we've been told recently in different podcasts that side failed because of a lack of professionalism including a shocking attitude to pre-season training. We played relatively well each year which suggests we weren't the only side in Championship with lax attitudes but, assuming premier league was already more advanced, that edition of City would have been beaten badly if had managed promotion. Next time someone is interviewing Hudson or Purse they should ask why no one knocked some heads together until Bellamy arrived?

Warnock with a slightly more forward thinking coaching staff would probably have had the best bet - we conceded so many goals that year because he refused to adjust to the better quality of opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    From what we've been told recently in different podcasts that side failed because of a lack of professionalism including a shocking attitude to pre-season training. We played relatively well each year which suggests we weren't the only side in Championship with lax attitudes but, assuming premier league was already more advanced, that edition of City would have been beaten badly if had managed promotion. Next time someone is interviewing Hudson or Purse they should ask why no one knocked some heads together until Bellamy arrived?

Warnock with a slightly more forward thinking coaching staff would probably have had the best bet - we conceded so many goals that year because he refused to adjust to the better quality of opposition.
    From what I've been told Dave Jones wasn't exactly 'hands on'. Except perhaps a five iron.

One thing discussions like this brings to mind for me is how big a player was Aron Gunnarsson for us? I used to watch him in his latter days with us and think he wasn’t contributing that much, but it strikes me that we’ve never really replaced him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One thing discussions like this brings to mind for me is how big a player was Aron Gunnarsson for us? I used to watch him in his latter days with us and think he wasn’t contributing that much, but it strikes me that we’ve never really replaced him.
    We've never replaced Gunnarsson. He was a fantastic player at this level who was under appreciated for much of his time here.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We've never replaced Gunnarsson. He was a fantastic player at this level who was under appreciated for much of his time here.
    Much appreciated, as was his Mrs.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If I could interject. You are correct, I never implied that. Would MM prefer those 60 yard punts up the field go to another City player ? I can't think why not, so it's just confirmation that our back 3 especially are unable to play a long ball out of defence. Will Vaulks said you 'don't have to play the ball from the back', and he's right, but lately we don't seem to be able to even get to the point where we can get crosses into the box. Let's see what happens tonight.
    OK. So it seems there must have been some tactical element to it. Last night the difference was startling - I even recall Morrison and Flint running past Derby defenders way up the pitch ..