+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Workington

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Workington

I think you may be talking about an away game at Bolton in about 1976. A big away following arrived just after 2pm to find the home fans laughing and walking away from the ground- there'd been a thunderstorm and the pitch was waterlogged and game postponed. After discussions with police, they allowed the official supporters' club coaches to go to Rochdale v Workington. We all supported Workington,who were well adrift at the bottom of the league and they won easily, perhaps 1-3 or 4 even. Their bemused players all came over to thank us.
    It was the same day as Scotland v Wales rugby as we knocked on a few doors to ask if they'd let me and 2 mates in to watch! No chance!

Re: Workington

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    I think you may be talking about an away game at Bolton in about 1976. A big away following arrived just after 2pm to find the home fans laughing and walking away from the ground- there'd been a thunderstorm and the pitch was waterlogged and game postponed. After discussions with police, they allowed the official supporters' club coaches to go to Rochdale v Workington. We all supported Workington,who were well adrift at the bottom of the league and they won easily, perhaps 1-3 or 4 even. Their bemused players all came over to thank us.
    It was the same day as Scotland v Wales rugby as we knocked on a few doors to ask if they'd let me and 2 mates in to watch! No chance!
    I was on one of the supporters' coaches going to that Bolton game. We arrived outside the ground, only to be told it had been called off.
    As you rightly say, we then went to Spotland to watch Rochdale Vs Workington, which was a game between two struggling Fourth Division sides. I remember how it was possible to walk around all four sides of the ground, if you so wished. I also recall the weeds growing between the cracks of the concrete terracing.
    It was quite a surreal atmosphere, the home club were very friendly and accommodating, however, we were cheering on the away team, 'underdogs'.. Workington!
    You should have seen the looks of belwilderment on the faces of those Workington players as they prepared to attack a corner at the end we were massed.