+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A question about improving support

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: A question about improving support

It all comes down to cost of tickets in my opinion, yes I think ours are reasonable compared to other clubs but seemingly people still think it’s a lot, it’s an expensive day out.

Travel could be more issue.

A lot also stems from frustration with the club, how often do you hear “same old city”. Hopefully we turn a corner now with Bulut and some professionalism back.

I don’t see how food or drink prices are an issue, maybe because I’ve probably bought a hand full of items ever since it one, generally I can survive without food or drink for a couple of hours. Although a warm team on those very cold nights help.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It all comes down to cost of tickets in my opinion, yes I think ours are reasonable compared to other clubs but seemingly people still think it’s a lot, it’s an expensive day out.

Travel could be more issue.
    I’d echo the travel issue. Took the train from Bridgend on Saturday with my 10 yr old boy. The walk up from central station not great so after the match thought we’d catch a train back to Central from Ninian station - jam packed and couldn’t get on it. Had to walk back in the dark which didn’t bother me but my boy wasn’t happy. Got to Central station, got on train and there was a problem with the doors - stuck on there for 25 minutes, boiling hot, no air conditioning, toe to toe. Got into Bridgend and missed our last bus (yes, last bus 6:30pm!). Got a £10 taxi and got home 3 hours after final whistle, just 20 miles down the road from CCS.

Now there’s a whole separate thread needed for the abysmal state of our public transport, but if that’s my experience (and more importantly my 10 yr old’s experience), how are we going to make ‘the day’ more attractive if you have to spend almost 4 hours travelling 20 miles each way? There used to be a Zeelo coach service from Bridgend direct to CCS before Covid, not sure what happened to that.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    I’d echo the travel issue. Took the train from Bridgend on Saturday with my 10 yr old boy. The walk up from central station not great so after the match thought we’d catch a train back to Central from Ninian station - jam packed and couldn’t get on it. Had to walk back in the dark which didn’t bother me but my boy wasn’t happy. Got to Central station, got on train and there was a problem with the doors - stuck on there for 25 minutes, boiling hot, no air conditioning, toe to toe. Got into Bridgend and missed our last bus (yes, last bus 6:30pm!). Got a £10 taxi and got home 3 hours after final whistle, just 20 miles down the road from CCS.

Now there’s a whole separate thread needed for the abysmal state of our public transport, but if that’s my experience (and more importantly my 10 yr old’s experience), how are we going to make ‘the day’ more attractive if you have to spend almost 4 hours travelling 20 miles each way? There used to be a Zeelo coach service from Bridgend direct to CCS before Covid, not sure what happened to that.
    Public transport is my biggest gripe as well. It's like the old days of First Customer panel meetings lol!

Getting to and from the ground on a Saturday isn't too bad from Aberdare. Direct train to Grangetown or change in Radyr for Ninian Park. I usually get off in Central and get a bus to Canton to meet with friends.

Getting home from an evening kickoff is far from ideal. There's one train, resulting in a long wait in Grangetown. Not nice in the bad weather. If I can't get on it, I'm stuck in Cardiff, or there's a later train to Ponty and still a hefty taxi fare.

I used the Zeelo bus quite a bit, not often to go down, but certainly to get home. The only issue I had with it is that it didn't go through the village where I live (and another half a dozen or so who used the bus do), when it could have done as it was en route and would have taken an extra couple of minutes. A few of us emailed Zeelo, who weren't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post

Just to stress the point, I asked my 10 year old this morning if he fancied coming with me to the Bristol game on the 28th and he replied, "not really, the trains were a nightmare". That's the future fans we're trying to attract!