+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Big Clubs Near The Trap Door

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Big Clubs Near The Trap Door

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Talking of big clubs in trouble, I was surprised to find out that Ipswich Town have only been a league club (barring 1 season) since just after the Second World War. I had always assumed they had been plying their trade in Divisions 2, 3 and 4 prior to them winning the Division 1 title in 1961-62.
    Amazing club in many ways have a great history and have had truly great players playing for them(Beattie, Mills, Butcher the Dutch pair and John Wark to name a few,they have been managed by the two best England managers and in Robson a great manager, they had the best owners in football for many years in the Cobbolds and pioneered foreign imports in Muhren and Thijsenn all in a town of about 130000
    Struggling atm with a weird owner and crowds were down before lockdown but i think they will bounce back
    i live in Ipswich and you see loads of people wearing Town gear, lots more than you do see people wearing City stuff in Cardiff or the valleys

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Amazing club in many ways have a great history and have had truly great players playing for them(Beattie, Mills, Butcher the Dutch pair and John Wark to name a few,they have been managed by the two best England managers and in Robson a great manager, they had the best owners in football for many years in the Cobbolds and pioneered foreign imports in Muhren and Thijsenn all in a town of about 130000
    Struggling atm with a weird owner and crowds were down before lockdown but i think they will bounce back
    i live in Ipswich and you see loads of people wearing Town gear, lots more than you do see people wearing City stuff in Cardiff or the valleys
    Was it John Cobbold who said, “A crisis at Ipswich Town is the stock of red wine in the boardroom running low”. A brilliant, Corinthian view of things.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Was it John Cobbold who said, “A crisis at Ipswich Town is the stock of red wine in the boardroom running low”. A brilliant, Corinthian view of things.
    yes the post match boardroom drinks were legendary

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Always thought of Ipswich as a proper football town. They’ve got a great history (depending on your age) and I still see the scruffy Eric Gates scoring goals in that Ipswich Adidas jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Always thought of Ipswich as a proper football town. They’ve got a great history (depending on your age) and I still see the scruffy Eric Gates scoring goals in that Ipswich Adidas jersey.
    My reminiscing just reminded me...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Izzpry...ature=youtu.be