+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mick Lynch RMT Gen Sec

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mick Lynch RMT Gen Sec

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    If you can clean you can deal directly with the customers and cut out the cleaning firm, I came across someone like that cleaning the caravans in Porthcawl, she was very welll paid.

Failing that work hard and work towards becoming a supervisor or manager, or go into a different area of work, if you are not earning enough thats what you'll have to do?
    You are completely deluded. These people need to be paid a decent ****ing wage. You can't start a business when you're on minimum wage. You can't live on minimum wage so how are you going to save to start your own company. Why are we in a situation where we are attacking the most vulnerable people in society, so the rich can get richer and richer?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You are completely deluded. These people need to be paid a decent ****ing wage. You can't start a business when you're on minimum wage. You can't live on minimum wage so how are you going to save to start your own company. Why are we in a situation where we are attacking the most vulnerable people in society, so the rich can get richer and richer?
    This woman was working for a firm cleaning the vans, chatted to the people in the office and said can I clean the vans for you, they said yes if you like £x per van, she said great i'll do 20 or whatever, she didn't need any cash start up, just iniiative.

This woman was working for a firm cleaning the vans, chatted to the people in the office and said can I clean the vans for you, they said yes if you like £x per van, she said great i'll do 20 or whatever, she didn't need any cash start up, just iniiative.
    The firm didn't have contract with the cleaning company she worked for?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The firm didn't have contract with the cleaning company she worked for?
    And this?

International

And this?
    I think they must have used various small cleaning firms?

She's an example of someone who was on her uppers but got out of poverty by spotting an opportunity, I appreciate not everyone has ambition and inititve, some would prefer to blame the government and would prefer to tax higher earners more and more.

She's an example of someone who was on her uppers but got out of poverty by spotting an opportunity, I appreciate not everyone has ambition and inititve, some would prefer to blame the government and would prefer to tax higher earners more and more.
    Train stations need to be cleaned. There are many cleaners that need to clean them. Why should they not be paid a decent wage for doing a job that needs to be done? If they weren't needed, they wouldn't be employed. For every person that's "worked hard" to get to where there are, there will be many others who have failed. 60% of new businesses fail in their first 3 years.

Good for her but I think it's unusual for a contractor for Company A to just take Company A's work with Company B by simply asking for it.

Good for her but I think it's unusual for a contractor for Company A to just take Company A's work with Company B by simply asking for it.
    Yes, most companies wouldn't touch that with a barge pole

International

In fairness I would agree it's true, but not an every day situation, maybe it's harder to get cleaners in Porthcawl with loads of caravans needing cleaning and an old population?

The point is people can get on if they really want to, in the past their have been employment gaps with well paid vacancies Plumbers, HGV drivers, Train drivers, and they'll come again, so people need to look out for them and try and find ways to earn more money.

People need to clean the train stations though. So why should they get paid sod all to do so? That's one example, which is good on her. Most cleaners can't go on their own though. It isn't feasible.

This is a bit of an oversimplification. For some people at the low end of the pay scale having a regular, secure income is essential. They may have initiative but they also have to balance risks as they have financial commitments and responsibilities but may not have savings. Working for yourself can pose challenges with intermittent gaps in work and also suppliers paying late. It's not really as straightforward as just telling people to use their initiative and go it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This is a bit of an oversimplification. For some people at the low end of the pay scale having a regular, secure income is essential. They may have initiative but they also have to balance risks as they have financial commitments and responsibilities but may not have savings. Working for yourself can pose challenges with intermittent gaps in work and also suppliers paying late. It's not really as straightforward as just telling people to use their initiative and go it alone.
    its no wonder 60% of businesses fail in the first 3 years

International

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    True good point its definately not for everyone, I think most people need to take risks though, most of the very wealthy have taken the greatest risks, if you are risk averse, it can keep you down.

True good point its definately not for everyone, I think most people need to take risks though, most of the very wealthy have taken the greatest risks, if you are risk averse, it can keep you down.
    But you can't take risks if you have no money. If you don't have guaranteed income, you can't pay for food or rent/mortgage and very quickly, you are homeless and then you can't get a job.

International

But you can't take risks if you have no money. If you don't have guaranteed income, you can't pay for food or rent/mortgage and very quickly, you are homeless and then you can't get a job.
    Partly agree, ideally you try and do it before you get in that position, but once you there you may have take some risks and change jobs to one with better prospects, the alternative is stay as you are, I appreciate it's not easy.

Survivorship bias.

Many of the wealthy take big risks and won, what you don't see is the people who took the risks and lost.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Survivorship bias.

Many of the wealthy take big risks and won, what you don't see is the people who took the risks and lost.
    Yep it's not a guarantee!

Following this post if theres one tip I would give is for anyone who's kids are about to take their GCSE choices and A levels, sit them down go on google and see what jobs pay what, if they can select the right subjects and focus at that age it will give them a far greater chance.

The same with university, for example if an optician pays well, you can plot the path from an early age to make sure they do a degree that will almost guarantee a job rather than a generic one. There is nothing worse that studying for 16 years and realising your degree won't get you any better job than leaving school at sixteen.

If your kids aren't academic look for a trade or apprentiship, don't just let them do whatever they want with no guidence, it's probably the last time they will listen to you if your lucky, and they already don't listen to you lol

Yes, but the very wealthy may be risking money they can afford to lose. People on the breadline may be risking their home, ability to pay bills, feed their kids etc. There's more to it than just saying take risks if you want to improve your lot.