+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: People using "Americanisms"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: People using "Americanisms"

One I've noticed creeping in recently, is to say 'two times' instead of 'twice'. As in "I watched City two times last week". Why is that? It's easier to say twice, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    One I've noticed creeping in recently, is to say 'two times' instead of 'twice'. As in "I watched City two times last week". Why is that? It's easier to say twice, surely?
    But what about 'thrice'?

The season thing irks me, there’s only four seasons and they’re nothing to do with Frankie Valli either. I sometimes picture myself behind the counter or bar when someone says ‘Can I get?’, I’d love to reply ‘Course you can, it’s over there’. My daughter in law said to my granddaughter the other day, ‘Ask Bampy if he wants a cookie’, I didn’t hang about to see if it was a biscuit she was on about, mind you isn’t biscuit French?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The season thing irks me, there’s only four seasons and they’re nothing to do with Frankie Valli either. I sometimes picture myself behind the counter or bar when someone says ‘Can I get?’, I’d love to reply ‘Course you can, it’s over there’. My daughter in law said to my granddaughter the other day, ‘Ask Bampy if he wants a cookie’, I didn’t hang about to see if it was a biscuit she was on about, mind you isn’t biscuit French?
    Biscuit is from French
    Cookie is from a Germanic route. (The German word for cake is 'Kuchen')
    Quiche is an interesting word as it's a French bastardisation of 'Kuchen'.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Biscuit is from French
    Cookie is from a Germanic route. (The German word for cake is 'Kuchen')
    Quiche is an interesting word as it's a French bastardisation of 'Kuchen'.
    Those bastard French

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    " Can i Get " appears to be the norm now, even staff ask " what can i get for you "

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    " Can i Get " appears to be the norm now, even staff ask " what can i get for you "
    Staff asking "what can I get for you?" isn't bad, they are going to get it. The customer asking "can I get" irks me. "No, you can not get it, unless you come behind the counter and know how to work the coffee machine, that it not allowed. Tell me what you want and I will get it for you".