+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hottest Place You Have Ever Been To

Re: Hottest Place You Have Ever Been To

Arches National Park in Utah. Walked around all day and at 6 p.m. stopped off at a restaurant where the waitress brought a jug of ice cold water.

Manna from Heaven.

Followed by a bottle of beer named 'Polygamy Porter' with the slogan: 'Why Just Have One?'

Don't tell me the Mormons don't have a sense of humor.

Going to Corfu in July / August 1995 on my first trip abroad always sticks in my mind. We landed around midday and as I was walking away from the plane I was assuming that the intense heat was from the plane engines but it wasn’t - not sure of actual temperatures but it was very hot all trip.

Marmaris Turkey 48 degrees.
    I was sweating getting out of the shower and tore a couple of T-shirts trying to getting them off.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Dumballs Road, building industrial units, Summer 1976, unforgiving. Absolute ridiculous conditions to be working outside in.
    What a summer that was, eh!
    I remember it actually rained quite heavily, one early evening. I made no attempt to get out of the rain, it was just a relief to feel somewhat cool, albeit very wet!

Turkey in July of '87 was bloody hot. However, I don't think I've experienced anything above 40c, unlike a lot of others in this thread.
    It averages 32-34c where I live in the summer, which is livable, however, the humidity often hits 99% on the hydrometer in my living room (it doesn't go up to 100%).

Las Vegas Strip , the heat is horrid

Death Valley on holiday, and Qatar in July for work, but the worst was Gillingham away 2008ish (?) for sheer brutal unrelenting heat.

Delhi, where I remember stepping out of the air conditioned hotel into the baking heat on the street

Death Valley where they advise turning off the A/C in the car to avoid the engine overheating!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Death Valley on holiday, and Qatar in July for work, but the worst was Gillingham away 2008ish (?) for sheer brutal unrelenting heat.
    was going to add Gillingham away, last game of the season, lots of fancy dress, open temporary stand, hot,hothot
    Uluru Australia probably the hottest place and the flies were awful but Cairns on the coast was more uncomfortable because of the humidity

Adelaide - 46.8 degrees, their hottest ever day and my first summer in Australia

Marmaris Turkey the Mrs had heatstroke.
    And a different kind of heat in Orleans in USA just impossible not to sweat with the humidity.

Surabaya, Indonesia

The humidity is something else.

International

Dubai in June. The air is wet!!

Malta at the end of June. Very uncomfortable.

However, go in mid September to the end of October and it's still very warm but a different sort of heat. Lovely.

So far we've got Australia, UAE, Turkey, Gillingham....

I can remember the tarmac road melting about 20 years ago in Turkey!

Interesting comments about humidity above. I can cope with dry heat much better than humid heat. For some people I know it is the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Interesting comments about humidity above. I can cope with dry heat much better than humid heat. For some people I know it is the other way around.
    To be honest, I have not met many people who say they can cope better with humid heat than dry heat.

After a shower, I often have to stand in front of a fan while attempting to towel myself dry. Then when I'm trying to take off a t-shirt, I sometimes need someone to help me pull it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    To be honest, I have not met many people who say they can cope better with humid heat than dry heat.

After a shower, I often have to stand in front of a fan while attempting to towel myself dry. Then when I'm trying to take off a t-shirt, I sometimes need someone to help me pull it off!

New York. When it's 103F, humid as **** and the heat just radiates off all the concrete and asphalt.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

I agree about humidity but I find it's exactly the same with cold. When it's cold here in the winter it's damp and miserable but when I lived in Berlin the winters were much colder but generally crisp and dry ( No cooking oil lol)
    I can recall shovelling snow in the sunshine in a temp of -10 in a tee shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I agree about humidity but I find it's exactly the same with cold. When it's cold here in the winter it's damp and miserable but when I lived in Berlin the winters were much colder but generally crisp and dry ( No cooking oil lol)
    I can recall shovelling snow in the sunshine in a temp of -10 in a tee shirt.
    That's bang on. Add in the fact that it's so windy in cardiff, that really gets into your bones. I have a polish mate who says exactly the same as you do. He lived on the Russian border and although very cold, it was dry and calm.

Vegas was unbelievably hot when we went, couldn't walk more than a few meters without going in a shop to cool down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's bang on. Add in the fact that it's so windy in cardiff, that really gets into your bones. I have a polish mate who says exactly the same as you do. He lived on the Russian border and although very cold, it was dry and calm.
    Yes. I went to Krakow a few years ago which was a week before Christmas. Consistently -4 degrees but comfortable.

I prefer the cold to the heat though.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Yes. I went to Krakow a few years ago which was a week before Christmas. Consistently -4 degrees but comfortable.

I prefer the cold to the heat though.
    It got down to -20c some days in January/February. I’ve traveled / lived in quite a few places but never seen a swing of up to 30c within 24 hours, -20 to +10, -10 to +20, that’s new for me

People here have no concept of what a difference a damp winter makes. Here, the air is warm and humid in the summer, but we get very cold, dry arctic air in the winter. I'll take it anytime over a comparatively mild but damp winter day in South Wales.

First Team

I live in it. Lucky if we get below 100 now before the end of October.