+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is violence to genuine football fans what religion is to actual Christianity?

Re: Is violence to genuine football fans what religion is to actual Christianity?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I read once that if you give a typewriter to a chimpanzee, and let them randomly hit the keyboard for long enough, they'd eventually type out the entire bible.
    Is that how Christianity started?
    Again that's what scientific speculation often says, hoping to be true!
    In fact monkeys in a controlled experiment have been left for long periods of time and typed loads of letters on page after page.
    The result was this, even given that a proper word could be a space followed by an "I" (or an "A") then followed by another space, the monkeys didn't even produce one legitimate word, let alone the encyclopedia britannica or even one word from the Bible.
    And no, they didn't use monkeys from the Swansea area

Re: Is violence to genuine football fans what religion is to actual Christianity?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Probably

I was forced to try and read it as a kid , I was given a book called catacisms or something , I used to come home from school saying to my old man this is all silly

I was 12 , I was more interested in going fishing
    You were force fed religion, I would agree with you that religion makes no sense and only drives people away from their Creator, not the opposite.

You can prove the somebody called Jesus died and was resurrected?

Most of what was written about Jesus was done after he died so the witnesses to this resurrection were not even there
    Affirm is to prove or provide evidence ?
    I know that if I pour petrol on a fire it gets more powerful , that's evidence backed up by science
    For me there is no evidence of the existence of God, christ doing miracles etc and the afterlife so unless someone comes up with any it all stops there .
    Yes, most of what was written about Christ was written after His death, resurrection and ascension.
    However it was written by eye witnesses who saw Him AND many who lived and/ or travelled with Him.

Also, does Science provide the answers to the biggest questions about life?

Origin - Purpose - Destiny?

You can prove the somebody called Jesus died and was resurrected?

Most of what was written about Jesus was done after he died so the witnesses to this resurrection were not even there

Affirm is to prove or provide evidence ?

I know that if I pour petrol on a fire it gets more powerful , that's evidence backed up by science

For me there is no evidence of the existence of God, christ doing miracles etc and the afterlife so unless someone comes up with any it all stops there .
    PROVE that somebody died and was resurrected?

Have you watched this 2017 Film about an skeptical award winning journalist who investigates this - and like you, the last thing he wants to find is that he is looking at actual History.....

THE CASE FOR CHRIST (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    You were force fed religion, I would agree with you that religion makes no sense and only drives people away from their Creator, not the opposite.
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Interesting.
    I said what I said concerning religion because it has so many futile man-made ideas in it that it only serves to keep people away from genuine Christianity. When most people encounter the real thing then they notice that there is a difference

Religion has rightly has been criticised on a recent thread - but do the majority who oppose religion realise that just as the genuine City fan has often been confused with those seeking mindless violence, genuine Christianity is not to be confused with dead man-made religion?
    Surely all religions are man-made, so the whole basis of the question is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Surely all religions are man-made, so the whole basis of the question is flawed.
    Correct, all religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to a Holy God.

Although many would class following Christ to also be a religion (hence your above comment) then I will explain the difference as revealed in the Bible:-

1. We are informed - "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" - in other words despite our best efforts, we will not make it, like swimming from Ireland to New York no matter how well we can swim, we will perish.
    Therefore we are all guilty before God and without hope of saving ourselves. Hence religion is hopeless.

2. Christ offers to pay our fine and stand in our place, meaning He offers us the Gift of being saved from the penalty of our rebellion/ sin/ failure - whatever you wish to call it. He acheived the ability to offer us this by suffering and dying at Calvary after He had lived a sinless life and therefore needn't have died at all - ie He laid down His life for you & me.

The Bible puts it this way > "But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners" (Romans 5:8).

If you have any questions on this then please fire away

Correct, all religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to a Holy God.

Although many would class following Christ to also be a religion (hence your above comment) then I will explain the difference as revealed in the Bible:-

1. We are informed - "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" - in other words despite our best efforts, we will not make it, like swimming from Ireland to New York no matter how well we can swim, we will perish.
    Therefore we are all guilty before God and without hope of saving ourselves. Hence religion is hopeless.

2. Christ offers to pay our fine and stand in our place, meaning He offers us the Gift of being saved from the penalty of our rebellion/ sin/ failure - whatever you wish to call it. He acheived the ability to offer us this by suffering and dying at Calvary after He had lived a sinless life and therefore needn't have died at all - ie He laid down His life for you & me.

The Bible puts it this way > "But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners" (Romans 5:8).

If you have any questions on this then please fire away
    I think you'll actually find that all religions are man made to keep the lower classes in check and make them work harder on earth in the hope of a better afterlife. As Marx said, Religion is the opiate of the people. Religion is the drug that is used to control the masses.

I cant decide if you are being serious or ironic, but any intelligent person who believes in religion, is by definition, not that intelligent.

I think you'll actually find that all religions are man made to keep the lower classes in check and make them work harder on earth in the hope of a better afterlife. As Marx said, Religion is the opiate of the people. Religion is the drug that is used to control the masses.

I cant decide if you are being serious or ironic, but any intelligent person who believes in religion, is by definition, not that intelligent.
    So only simple people have 'religion' as you put it, yet you currently don't seem to appreciate the point being made here, that what is freely offered is not dead religion at all, but a living relationship?

On this point, I know many current professors who trust God on a daily basis and for their eternal soul. In fact the man who invented MRI which itself has saved countless lives, believes in the God of the Bible and trusts in Christ.

However, while most of us don't take a great deal of interest in top scientists, here's someone we've all heard of:-

“Put God first in everything you do … Everything that I have is by the grace of God, understand that. It’s a gift … I didn’t always stick with Him, but He stuck with me.” – Denzel Washington

With the switch to miserable weather, dark clouds over the CCS and the immediate future at CCFC, grab yourself a hot drink and listen to someone (mentioned above) who knows what it takes to change things for the better.

Wise words from Denzel Washington >> CLIP