+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Like Father Like Son.....

Re: Like Father Like Son.....

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It was never larger, it remained the same size, none of it was ever demolished externally to reduce it.
    Some back rows of seats were most probably taken out to be replaced by those hospitality boxes and the room behind.
    I didn't say it was demolished.
    After the works, the volume and number of seats for spectators would have been reduced. It's therefore true that prior to the refurb and the introduction of the boxes, the Canton would have looked much bigger.

Did you ever have the chance to stand right at the back of the old Grangetown End and the Canton Stand? Grangetown End dwarfed it.
    Yes on a number of occasions both, and I agree with you that the GE dwarfed the Canton.
    The OP's account though was that the Canton was large not larger than the Grangend.
    I should add that I don't agree with bobh's view that both stands were of similar size. Perhaps you thought I was and got our posts confused?

It seems that some people (not you) were questioning the OPs excellent piece based on something that is subjective.

It was never larger, it remained the same size, none of it was ever demolished externally to reduce it. Some back rows of seats were most probably taken out to be replaced by those hospitality boxes and the room behind. Did you ever have the chance to stand right at the back of the old Grangetown End and the Canton Stand? Grangetown End dwarfed it.
    That's how I remember it, the Canton Stand was the lowest out of the four stands when Ninian Park was used for the last time even with the bit that used to be seating included.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I didn't say it was demolished.
    After the works, the volume and number of seats for spectators would have been reduced. It's therefore true that prior to the refurb and the introduction of the boxes, the Canton would have looked much bigger.

Yes on a number of occasions both, and I agree with you that the GE dwarfed the Canton.
    The OP's account though was that the Canton was large not larger than the Grangend.
    I should add that I don't agree with bobh's view that both stands were of similar size. Perhaps you thought I was and got our posts confused?

It seems that some people (not you) were questioning the OPs excellent piece based on something that is subjective.
    You’re right it was bobh who reckoned that back in 1970ish it was as large as the old Grangetown End
    but you did state that the Canton used to be larger than it was at the time Ninian Park was demolished, it was the same size structure at the end of its days as it was in the beginning, never larger.

You’re right it was bobh who reckoned that back in 1970ish it was as large as the old Grangetown End
    but you did state that the Canton used to be larger than it was at the time Ninian Park was demolished, it was the same size structure at the end of its days as it was in the beginning, never larger.
    Hmmm. Okay, perhaps I could have chosen better words but I certainly did not mean that the overall footprint of the structure had been altered.
    Had it been, then the club shop, Bluebirds club and the house next door would have been seriously impacted

I have been lucky enough to take several people to their first game. Of course, like many Dads I took my own sons to games before they could barely stand or certainly understand the drama of it all. It works best when the person you take is just about old enough to take it in. The look on my nephew’s face as he first saw the NP grandstand illuminated in the floodlights as we climbed onto the Bob Bank will especially stay with me. He was mesmerised.