+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ryan Wintle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ryan Wintle

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I don’t think anyone’s saying he’s out of his depth but he’s not a number 8 for me. He plays in the Wintle position for U23s. As you said it was all backwards and didnt really offer anything going forward when he had the ball. A lot was made of the Hugill fo Watters substitution but it was the Doyle for King substitution that changed that game. Doyle got us on the front foot. End of the day we were home to a Coventry we should be trying to impose our game on them not sit back and be so defensive as we were before Doyle replaced King.

Morrison talks about not putting square pegs in round holes but King at 8 / RHS of midfield was exactly that for me.
    interesting about king playing in the same position as Wintle for the u23s.

that's clearly a Key role for us, and with Pack leaving soon we need to either sign some cover in the summer, or promote from within.
    perhaps they're trying to give king plenty of game time now to see if we can avoid signing that player in the summer, allowing us to focus on other positions

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    interesting about king playing in the same position as Wintle for the u23s.

that's clearly a Key role for us, and with Pack leaving soon we need to either sign some cover in the summer, or promote from within.
    perhaps they're trying to give king plenty of game time now to see if we can avoid signing that player in the summer, allowing us to focus on other positions
    Mick McCarthy tried to turn Bowen into a wing back, then an attacking midfielder, but, having watched him play for years at under 16, 18 and 23 levels, I thought we had a potential McPhail like, deep lying midfielder there. The thing is Steve Morison used Bowen in that deeper lying role last season and early this season and clearly isn’t convinced. I suppose the question is how many games would Steve McPhail have played for City if he’d been here for the past ten years, there’s been different priorities at the club during that time and it might be that King’s size is working in his favour - I’m convinced that’s what got Mick McCarthy interested in Colwill first of all.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mick McCarthy tried to turn Bowen into a wing back, then an attacking midfielder, but, having watched him play for years at under 16, 18 and 23 levels, I thought we had a potential McPhail like, deep lying midfielder there. The thing is Steve Morison used Bowen in that deeper lying role last season and early this season and clearly isn’t convinced. I suppose the question is how many games would Steve McPhail have played for City if he’d been here for the past ten years, there’s been different priorities at the club during that time and it might be that King’s size is working in his favour - I’m convinced that’s what got Mick McCarthy interested in Colwill first of all.
    Be interesting to see who Paul Bodin selects for Wales U21s next squad. I’ve seen an interview from him when Bowen first broke into City team and he clearly rated him. We could see Bowen selected ahead of King for country and along ahead of Bowen for club.

Be interesting to see who Paul Bodin selects for Wales U21s next squad. I’ve seen an interview from him when Bowen first broke into City team and he clearly rated him. We could see Bowen selected ahead of King for country and along ahead of Bowen for club.
    Yes, Bowen has been regular in Wales age group sides from under 17 upwards and I daresay he was in younger age groups as well, I don’t think the same can be said of King although I believe he has now won under 21 caps. To be fair, I don’t think Bowen has been up to previous standards in recent Development team games, but that could be down to him knowing the lie of the land with Morison.

Yes, Bowen has been regular in Wales age group sides from under 17 upwards and I daresay he was in younger age groups as well, I don’t think the same can be said of King although I believe he has now won under 21 caps. To be fair, I don’t think Bowen has been up to previous standards in recent Development team games, but that could be down to him knowing the lie of the land with Morison.
    I think the last game the City side was so much younger than QPR difficult for anyone to stand out but yes I agree it wasn’t one of his better games.

Semenyo (sp) wasn’t great either. From recollection it was 2 days after Anfield so to be back with the under 23s playing with a bunch of 17/18 year olds must have been a bit of a comedown.

Hopefully better performances tomorrow.

I think the last game the City side was so much younger than QPR difficult for anyone to stand out but yes I agree it wasn’t one of his better games.

Semenyo (sp) wasn’t great either. From recollection it was 2 days after Anfield so to be back with the under 23s playing with a bunch of 17/18 year olds must have been a bit of a comedown.

Hopefully better performances tomorrow.
    Good point about the Liverpool game, especially for Semenyo.

Good point about the Liverpool game, especially for Semenyo.
    Is the Colchester game tomorrow? Says tomorrow on one site and 18th March on another?