+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If you was PM for a day and could only change one rule after COVID

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback

Re: If you was PM for a day and could only change one rule after COVID

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But surely we're in a position where this supposed free-est of free press is mainly run by billionnaires. Journalists at them are hardly free, they have to conform to their masters. We don't get much neutrality, particularly in the printed media; it is driven mainly by very rich men and their agendas.

I suppose my idea of free press is that everyone deserves a voice, and I'd like to see people having a more equal voice, regardless of how rich they are or what school they went to. Supposed freedom of the press certainly doesn't allow for that. You're all for freedom of speech. What is wrong with some regulation to ensure more people and more different viewpoints have access to providing that speech without being drowned out by the wealthy and the establishment?
    Based on what you have written, freedom of speech doesn't mean what you think it means. Freedom of speech is the ability to criticise the government, to be able to hold them to account.

Which billionaires own the Guardian, Private Eye, the BBC, the Independent etc etc?

Re: If you was PM for a day and could only change one rule after COVID

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Based on what you have written, freedom of speech doesn't mean what you think it means. Freedom of speech is the ability to criticise the government, to be able to hold them to account.

Which billionaires own the Guardian, Private Eye, the BBC, the Independent etc etc?
    That's not quite right. Freedom of expression is the right to hold your own opinions and to express them freely without government interference. The government can restrict this right in specific circumstances.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/...dom-expression