+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hibs v Villa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hibs v Villa

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Just pointing out the difference in budgets, income, expenditure and obviously quality.

From someone who watched Scottish clubs like Aberdeen, Dundee United challenge Europe's elite in the 80s its a severe drop in quality and a shame for football for those of a certain age.
    I think rather than a drop off, they’ve been static and many other leagues & teams have moved on (financially), the gaps between the haves and have nots continues to grow. It’s not just Scotland, it’s the same across Europe, the big 4 leagues dominate with the odd intervention from France or Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I think rather than a drop off, they’ve been static and many other leagues & teams have moved on (financially), the gaps between the haves and have nots continues to grow. It’s not just Scotland, it’s the same across Europe, the big 4 leagues dominate with the odd intervention from France or Portugal.
    Point taken, other leagues that have been impacted primarily the Dutch and Belgians.

During the 80s I can remember Mechelen winning Cup Winners Cup, Anderlecht competing in finals of European finals. Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven were seen as big clubs. Two of those clubs won European trophies in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Point taken, other leagues that have been impacted primarily the Dutch and Belgians.

During the 80s I can remember Mechelen winning Cup Winners Cup, Anderlecht competing in finals of European finals. Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven were seen as big clubs. Two of those clubs won European trophies in the 80s.
    In the days when they actually were 'cups', ie 100% knockout tournaments. The mini league set up practically renders surprises/giant-killing impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    In the days when they actually were 'cups', ie 100% knockout tournaments. The mini league set up practically renders surprises/giant-killing impossible.
    True.

I'm in Birmingham and watched the Hibs / Villa game whilst knocking back a pint yesterday afternoon. A few Villa fans knocking about getting extremely giddy about the performance and Villa being in Europe (which is fair enough).

It does seem an age away when they beat Bayern Munich in the European Cup though and thought then how distorted the Premier League is.

I'm getting all whimsy and reminiscing now.