Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
I always look out for Pompeys result after three great years down there as a student in the early 80s. I had a brief spell after the cup final where I wished them Ill fortune, but now I wish them well. Fratton Park was very similar to Ninian.

I try and go and watch Merthyr at least a few times a season, and sticking with non league I always enjoyed watching Worcester City when my daughter lived up there.
Ditto on Pompey for almost exactly the same reasons.. I was a student there from 82-85.. Fratton Park was a great place to watch a game back then. I lived in Milton, North End, Southsea and Bateson Halls of Residence in my time there.

In 83 we both got promoted... We played them towards the end of the season and drew 0-0. I remember the team bus driving through the street that day and Bob Hatton in particular waving at us as they went past. Was also the day that city fans dismantled the clock at the back of the Milton End.

That season was also the season Newport looked like they’d go up - they beat us 1-0 at Somerton and looked certainties but fell away... they never got close again