Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
Perhaps overrated, badly scouted , got into bad behaviours or attitude not right or simply stopped developing, all I can recall as a positive from his Man City time was about his speed over a short distance.
Think it is a combination of those things.

At Man City it is difficult to break through. Off the top of my head I can only think of Foden who has broken through and featured with any regularity for their first team so there is no shame in that.

I think the move to Germany was a good one for him but for whatever reason he just hasn't developed. Sancho has done well at Dortmund and Bellingham is now getting first team exposure there too and seems to be doing well. The Germans are not afraid to blood youngsters but it also very much sink and swim. If you don't seize your chance or multiple chances then it bypasses you and seems to have done so with Matondo.

He needs the loan move at Stoke to work. If it doesn't then what Championship club or higher will take a gamble on him? When he goes back to Schalke they will either have stayed up in Bundesliga by the skin of their teeth or have been relegated, either way there will be big changes in playing personnel and I can see him frozen out there too. He is at a critical stage of his career and I hope for his sake he finds something because he is on downward spiral at the moment and failing at Stoke will not do much to halt that.