+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensively lost our way?

Offensively lost our way?

The same wing backs who are threatening us seem to find it easy to squeeze us along the lines when we are attacking.
    Our forward movement when we have the ball is ponderous, laboured, our free kicks and long throws are too predictable and our inclination to shoot at goal (Vaulks aside today) is non existent.

Offensively Glatzel, OJo, Wilson, Hoilett all contributed very little today. Yes they worked hard but were not effective going forward.

Re: Offensively lost our way?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    The same wing backs who are threatening us seem to find it easy to squeeze us along the lines when we are attacking.
    Our forward movement when we have the ball is ponderous, laboured, our free kicks and long throws are too predictable and our inclination to shoot at goal (Vaulks aside today) is non existent.

Offensively Glatzel, OJo, Wilson, Hoilett all contributed very little today. Yes they worked hard but were not effective going forward.
    I half think we're playing for field position so we can win set pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think they are happy with that but even then it’s all too predictable. No variation, nobody running to pull defenders away from the six yard box and too often the incoming ball is a poor delivery.

I thought we were predicable under NW and not much has changed, yet we have seen some performances where the passing is crisp, there is good ball retention, good running and even a bit of pace.

Well, we’ve scored five in our last two home matches, so I’d say we have more problems at the other end of the pitch at the moment, one of which being our usually reliable keeper is having a dodgy spell. Also, could it be time for a change at centre back?

The opposition must have one of the shortest 'defending set piece' sessions they have had when they face us.

Long throws - Crowd out Morrison
    Corners and free kicks in the final third - See above

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well, we’ve scored five in our last two home matches, so I’d say we have more problems at the other end of the pitch at the moment, one of which being our usually reliable keeper is having a dodgy spell. Also, could it be time for a change at centre back?
    I didn't watch the game today, I only saw the goals as they went in on Soccer Saturday. However, when a left winger who had previously netted just once in 40 games manages to score a hat-trick, it's obvious where one of the problems is.

Sky reported that Canos had ten shots at goal today. Perhaps it's time for the experiment of playing a midfielder at right-back to end.

We're running up against much better sides in Swansea , Brentford and Norwich, we are way off being a top 6 side ,the league looks tougher this year and its looking like the three that came down plus Brentford and Swansea are vying for promotion

I find it borderline unbelievable but I actually think that this IS a tactic of Harris: get the ball close to their goal and win a throw, free kick, corner and hope to score from one of those. A bit like eggby and NFL. Winning ‘territory’.

In the absence of any other obvious plan or style and the fact that we so rarely score from open play, I can only assume that this is part of his plan.

Which I find really embarrassing in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I didn't watch the game today, I only saw the goals as they went in on Soccer Saturday. However, when a left winger who had previously netted just once in 40 games manages to score a hat-trick, it's obvious where one of the problems is.

Sky reported that Canos had ten shots at goal today. Perhaps it's time for the experiment of playing a midfielder at right-back to end.
    We dont have a fit right back.

Yes it is. Nelson is way overated imo. Let's see Benkovich

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I find it borderline unbelievable but I actually think that this IS a tactic of Harris: get the ball close to their goal and win a throw, free kick, corner and hope to score from one of those. A bit like eggby and NFL. Winning ‘territory’.

In the absence of any other obvious plan or style and the fact that we so rarely score from open play, I can only assume that this is part of his plan.

Which I find really embarrassing in this day and age.
    Why is it embarrassing? It's a reasonable tactic considering the players in our team.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We're running up against much better sides in Swansea , Brentford and Norwich, we are way off being a top 6 side ,the league looks tougher this year and its looking like the three that came down plus Brentford and Swansea are vying for promotion
    Isn’t the task to make us a better side?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We might be more secure at the back if we were threatening the opposition in their own half from open play.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We dont have a fit right back.
    I'm aware of that. However, maybe it would be more beneficial to try one of the under-23 squad at right-back, or one of the left-backs at right-back. I don't know. But from what I've seen, Bacuna frequently looks uncomfortable in that position if the opposition is anywhere near decent.

I'm aware of that. However, maybe it would be more beneficial to try one of the under-23 squad at right-back, or one of the left-backs at right-back. I don't know. But from what I've seen, Bacuna frequently looks uncomfortable in that position if the opposition is anywhere near decent.
    Hes done an ok job. Slaughtered today.

I think uncomfortable against anyone near decent is harsh.

I presume seeing as how we had youngsters on the bench including a left back meaning we had 3 in the squad then Harris thinks Bacuna is the best option and the U 23 right back isnt anywhere near the standard.

Right back is definitely an issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Why is it embarrassing? It's a reasonable tactic considering the players in our team.
    Well I think that it is embarrassing that a current day manager can be so limited in his thinking that he actually thinks that this the best tactic available.

I also think that we have some pretty talented players such as Wilson and Ojo who can’t think that this tactic is a good use of their skill set.

And I’ll bet that their parent club don’t either.

It's probably time to consider how well protected he was by the right sided winger/midfielder as well.

Well I think that it is embarrassing that a current day manager can be so limited in his thinking that he actually thinks that this the best tactic available.

I also think that we have some pretty talented players such as Wilson and Ojo who can’t think that this tactic is a good use of their skill set.

Agreed.

A lot like Warnock, if in doubt go more and more defensive.

Not what Dalman promised us at all.

Your making things up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    A lot like Warnock, if in doubt go more and more defensive.

Not what Dalman promised us at all.
    In fairness to Harris, we haven't got the players to do much differently.

In fairness to Harris, we haven't got the players to do much differently.
    He's the manager, he brought in most the offensive players. One thing Warnock did was get players out on loan and bring others in. Harris seemed far to slow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    He's the manager, he brought in most the offensive players. One thing Warnock did was get players out on loan and bring others in. Harris seemed far to slow.
    Warnock pissed 30m up the wall. Harris has spent little over 2m, and that most of that was on Kieffer Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Your making things up.
    Don’t think so.

Maybe you should read the post?

It is the best tactic available for the players in our team. We've won more games this season since we stopped trying to play possession football and started going direct and playing for set pieces.