Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
I don't think that your comparison with Korean pop music is the best, in my opinion. I guess that the angle of this article is UK based, and relating to black people in this country being overlooked for jobs where they maybe best suited. Not my words, that of the article, before anyone wants to have a go.

Historically, South Koreans have not been discriminated against in the UK, or by Western Culture, not that i am aware of anyway. Although i'm sure Feedback will find something in his locker from the 11th century So, the comparison you makeis sort of coming from an historical level playing field, it's not like white culture has had a negative effect on South Korean people in terms of progress and opportunity. To me, there has to be some historical context.
that example was more to do with cultures changing rapidly at the moment.
if one of my kids develops a deep interest in black music and then spends their whole childhood voraciously listening to it at every opportunity then is that not their culture as well?

it may not be the same as someone who is black appreciating it, there may not be the same link to the lyrics etc but if it's the only culture they know then that's their culture in my opinion, so I think we may have to accept as time goes on that cultures are going to merge a lot more than historically.
I think what is important is not preventing that, but ensuring that people from minority cultures aren't excluded from the success and opportunities associated with it.