+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wales v Denmark

Wales v Denmark

So if Wales win, what happens then?

Re: Wales v Denmark

We win the group and get promoted to the top group for the next Nations League competition. We may also be a top seed for the Euro 2020 draw. We also qualify for the play offs where will be up against the other group B winners. If we win the play offs we qualify for Euro 2020 if we haven’t already done so through the Euro qualifying campaign.

I may have some of the above wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We win the group and get promoted to the top group for the next Nations League competition. We may also be a top seed for the Euro 2020 draw. We also qualify for the play offs where will be up against the other group B winners. If we win the play offs we qualify for Euro 2020 if we haven’t already done so through the Euro qualifying campaign.

I believe we have been confirmed as being in Pot 2 for the Euro qualifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I believe we have been confirmed as being in Pot 2 for the Euro qualifiers.
    I think that’s now the worst case scenario isn’t it?

From what I can make out if we win the group we would replace England or Croatia, then if we failed to finish in the top 2 of our qualifying group we would have another chance in the nation's league playoffs where we would play the other winners in group B

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    From what I can make out if we win the group we would replace England or Croatia, then if we failed to finish in the top 2 of our qualifying group we would have another chance in the nation's league playoffs where we would play the other winners in group B
    The latter bit about the play offs is definitely correct. Not sure which Group A team we would replace if we win the group.
    Just to add the Nations League will start again in 2020 so I’m guessing there will be a repeat scenario of play off winners coming from the Nations League group winners for the World Cup Finals in 2022.

The latter bit about the play offs is definitely correct. Not sure which Group A team we would replace if we win the group.
    Just to add the Nations League will start again in 2020 so I’m guessing there will be a repeat scenario of play off winners coming from the Nations League group winners for the World Cup Finals in 2022.
    This website seeks to explain the Nation Cup element of the play offs for the Euro Qualifiers. I am still not sure I understand how the replacement teams get selected for the higher league play-offs if the Group winners also qualify for the euros though.

This also suggests that we are in Pot 2 with Russia, Bosnia and the Ukraine.

https://www.footballseeding.com/inte...nts/euro-2020/

Pot 1 will be the top ten from group A and pot 2 will be the 2 worst teams from group A and the winners and runners up of group B I think

This website seeks to explain the Nation Cup element of the play offs for the Euro Qualifiers. I am still not sure I understand how the replacement teams get selected for the higher league play-offs if the Group winners also qualify for the euros though.

This also suggests that we are in Pot 2 with Russia, Bosnia and the Ukraine.

https://www.footballseeding.com/inte...nts/euro-2020/
    That’s very helpful. Thanks for posting it. So yes you are right. The top ten performing teams amongst the A seeds will be top seeds for the Euro draw. We will definitely be second seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Pot 1 will be the top ten from group A and pot 2 will be the 2 worst teams from group A and the winners and runners up of group B I think
    Yes.

I am not sure you have the play-offs bit quite right, but I don't understand it so might be wrong.

4 games which decide seeding for Euro qualifiers. 20 euro qualifiers with top 2 from each group going through automatically and 4 remaining teams decided by winner of playoffs from Nations League. Longer term there is promotion and relegation and a winner of Nations League - the latter seeming quite unimportant.

- Am I right in saying play-offs are 2 games only? Does that mean 1 game only in semi and 1 game in final?
    - Am I right in saying that there needs to be 4 teams in each play-offs? I expect all but maybe 2 of teams in Nations league A to qualify so remaining 2 go into play-off and 2 others come from Nations League B? Who then makes up 2 remaining teams in B play-off?

Apparently, teams like Georgia (not great history but currently doing well) will have a better chance of tournament football than usual but not sure how play-offs work otherwise.

Basically we have to win all our games until things become clearer!

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I am not sure you have the play-offs bit quite right, but I don't understand it so might be wrong.

4 games which decide seeding for Euro qualifiers. 20 euro qualifiers with top 2 from each group going through automatically and 4 remaining teams decided by winner of playoffs from Nations League. Longer term there is promotion and relegation and a winner of Nations League - the latter seeming quite unimportant.

- Am I right in saying play-offs are 2 games only? Does that mean 1 game only in semi and 1 game in final?
    - Am I right in saying that there needs to be 4 teams in each play-offs? I expect all but maybe 2 of teams in Nations league A to qualify so remaining 2 go into play-off and 2 others come from Nations League B? Who then makes up 2 remaining teams in B play-off?

Apparently, teams like Georgia (not great history but currently doing well) will have a better chance of tournament football than usual but not sure how play-offs work otherwise.

Basically we have to win all our games until things become clearer!
    You have to laugh. I don’t know any football fan who is absolutely certain of how this all works. There are definitely four teams in the play offs from each group. So if we beat Denmark we will be in a play off semi final against one of three other group winners from group B. I am pretty certain the semi finals will be two legged. No idea about the fina.

Surge just to add a Georgia will have a great chance of making the Euro Finals. If they win their group they will be involved in play offs against one of the other group D winners. If they win that semi final they play the winner of the other group D play offs with the winner qualifying for the Euros.

You have to laugh. I don’t know any football fan who is absolutely certain of how this all works. There are definitely four teams in the play offs from each group. So if we beat Denmark we will be in a play off semi final against one of three other group winners from group B. I am pretty certain the semi finals will be two legged. No idea about the fina.
    It's taking a bit of getting used to Pearcey. Having read the above link I am still not 100% sure how the play-offs work! I think it (if it all goes wrong) we would be supporting the Danes to earn qualifications automatically so we still have a chance of play-offs by being best of non-qualified, non-group winners. I am enjoying it though. The games are a nice mix of competitive and developmental* with one eye on qualifiers proper.

*Unless you're Ireland.

The semis of the play offs are one leg as is the final. The best ranked team plays vs 4th best at home. Final venue is done by draw. Good luck trying to get fights, accom and tickets if drawn away for 2nd leg as it takes place three days after the semi!

It makes Brexit seem like such a simple affair!

We should in theory have done enough to play in some sort of nations league play off.

20 teams qualify for euros automatically
    In league of nations
    12 teams are in league A
    12 are in league B
    15 in C
    16vin D
    So let's say 10 from league A qualify
    And 7 from league B
    Then 3 from C

That leaves 2 from league A who didn't in their play off
    5 from league B in the play off
    12 from league C and 16 from D

So starting from D you get 4 winners then C then B Then A

When you get to A there are 2 spaces left so in league B there is another team available so they are selected . That leaves 0 teams in B so we then go to C who get another team who him into the play off. Therefore in theory if all of A automatically qualify probably better off finishing lower.

In respect to the next nations league for world cup there is no qualifying planned but once world.cup increased they are looking to do a similar thing but only for teams in top 2 leagues. So 2 spaces available.

Jesus I wish I hadn't read this thread.Pass the aspirin someone.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Jesus I wish I hadn't read this thread.Pass the aspirin someone.
    This thread confirms that I'm on my way to the Home for the Bewildered.

So is it better to win or lose against Denmark?

The semis of the play offs are one leg as is the final. The best ranked team plays vs 4th best at home. Final venue is done by draw. Good luck trying to get fights, accom and tickets if drawn away for 2nd leg as it takes place three days after the semi!
    Now that is mad, I've worked out how most of it works though and Wales are almost certain to be in a playoff of sorts. As there needs to be a group A playoff, if we consider that most of the Group A and Group B winners will qualify automatically, we'll probably get moved up to fill the spots in group A if we come 2nd. We'll only know after the qualifying campaign in 2019 though but it probably gives us two bites of the cherry.

For the likes of Georgia, it is advantageous to be as low as possible. They'll probably face Kosovo in a final to qualify. In an ideal world, you'll be as low as possible as it would be easier to qualify next time so you might see some sides playing younger teams to make sure they go down in the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    This thread confirms that I'm on my way to the Home for the Bewildered.
    You are not alone. I can't even be bothered to try and work it out....

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Now that is mad, I've worked out how most of it works though and Wales are almost certain to be in a playoff of sorts. As there needs to be a group A playoff, if we consider that most of the Group A and Group B winners will qualify automatically, we'll probably get moved up to fill the spots in group A if we come 2nd. We'll only know after the qualifying campaign in 2019 though but it probably gives us two bites of the cherry.

For the likes of Georgia, it is advantageous to be as low as possible. They'll probably face Kosovo in a final to qualify. In an ideal world, you'll be as low as possible as it would be easier to qualify next time so you might see some sides playing younger teams to make sure they go down in the next round.
    It's still as clear as mud

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Agreed, just let them get on with it - I think the Europa League is an improvement on what was there before and that will probably still be the case when it's finished.