+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 3 - 1 FINLAND. Match thread

FT: WALES 3 - 1 FINLAND. Match thread

Wednesday 18th November, ko 7:45pm.
    Cardiff City Stadium

Wales need a draw or a win to top the group and win promotion to the top League A of the Nations League.

Finishing top of the group could also potentially be enough to earn Wales (or Finland) a World Cup 2022 play off place. The two best placed nations League group winners will get a play off place if they don't finish in the two two of their World Cup Qualifying groups.

All to play for at CCS

Re: WALES v FINLAND. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Cardiff City Stadium

Wales need a draw or a win to top the group and win promotion to the top League A of the Nations League.

Finishing top of the group could also potentially be enough to earn Wales (or Finland) a World Cup 2022 play off place. The two best placed nations League group winners will get a play off place if they don't finish in the two two of their World Cup Qualifying groups.

All to play for at CCS
    My fridge is stocked with excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My fridge is stocked with excitement!

Reading that, with early morning eyes and on an iPhone, I thought you were stacking up on shit

Cardiff City Stadium

All to play for at CCS
    Potentially a very important game. Doesn't feel like it though. I wonder what sort of crowd we'd be getting for this game.

It is a very important match.

If we top the group and are guaranteed a playoff place for the world Cup (which is what I believe would be the case) then it gives Giggs (or Page/whoever) a license to be bolder in the World cup qualifiers than he might normally be.

I wish I hadn't realised this as I've made tonight into a bit of a nail biter for myself.

Question is, will Page be bold tonight?

Kieffer Moore has to start Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

If we top the group and are guaranteed a playoff place for the world Cup (which is what I believe would be the case) then it gives Giggs (or Page/whoever) a license to be bolder in the World cup qualifiers than he might normally be.

I wish I hadn't realised this as I've made tonight into a bit of a nail biter for myself.

The play-off spots go to the two highest ranked Nations League Group winners

I think if we win the group, given where we are in the current FIFA rankings we would be fifth ranked of all the winners.

It would need two of the four group winners in the A league, France, Spain and currently Italy and Belgium, not to win their World Cup Qualifying groups to deny us that play off spot (if we don't get one as runners up in our World Cup Qualification group).

Simples

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

I think if we win the group, given where we are in the current FIFA rankings we would be fifth ranked of all the winners.

It would need two of the four group winners in the A league, France, Spain and currently Italy and Belgium, not to win their World Cup Qualifying groups to deny us that play off spot (if we don't get one as runners up in our World Cup Qualification group).

Simples
    Phew!
    That's taken the pressure off tonight then

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Unfortunately our playing style is a bit negative which gives me the impression that if we concede we may get beaten. Every player receiving a pass seems to shape their body to pass backwards whatever.
    Then again, hard to criticise when you look at our results

No Keiffer Moore, but Harry Wilson starts in a negative looking selection.

Ward, Roberts, Rodon, Mepham, Lawrence, Norrington-Davies, Ampadu, Morrell, James, Bale, Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Ward, Roberts, Rodon, Mepham, Lawrence, Norrington-Davies, Ampadu, Morrell, James, Bale, Wilson
    Very disappointing. No Neco Williams or David Brooks. Nor Kieffer Moore.

I do wish Ampadu, would stop doing a Gunnarsson (pointiing) and start filling his potential. He spends the game, dictating not commanding !!

Same as Ireland just a few like for like swaps, 6 defenders and no recognised striker.

1-0 wales

I think Ben Davies's enforced loss is the biggest worry given the players available at the outset. Probably the most under-rated talent in the team and the most senior defender helping the promising but inexperienced others. Also hope that Norrington-Davies becomes more confident when he gets the ball in threatening positions.

Simples
    or finish second (which is an automatic place in the qualifiers)

Bit disappointed with that line up. Game opened up massively when kieffer came on Sunday so thought we’d go with that second half team tonight. Can’t see Bale playing the 90, Johnny and neco Williams both on the bench aswell, yeah bit underwhelmed with the starting team.

Still, got to support them, c’mon Wales!!

or finish second (which is an automatic place in the qualifiers)
    (if we don't get one as runners up in our World Cup Qualification group).

It's a crazy situation of ifs and might bes.

Whatever it is, Page is lining up for a backs to the wall job which, when you think of it, has worked up until now but it just doesn't sit right with me.
    Too many times we've blown it in similar situations.

I suppose it's a case of them having to come and win so let's see what they've got and hit them on the break.

Hope our Gareth lasts the course as I can see him covering some ground.

I think Ben Davies's enforced loss is the biggest worry given the players available at the outset. Probably the most under-rated talent in the team and the most senior defender helping the promising but inexperienced others. Also hope that Norrington-Davies becomes more confident when he gets the ball in threatening positions.
    I love Ben Davies, he's underrated at Spurs but not to sure about Wales.

What was he thinking?

That certainly helps. Clear red

Uronen didnt look for the ball once. Right decision

Harry Wilson

1 - 0

Yesss!! Wilson.
    Its been coming.