+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You desperately need a new name

I've just come back from town, it was really busy. Loads of places with tables outside filled with people eating and drinking. The new covered areas look great, the yellow lines don't bother me in the slightest being that there's single or double yellow lines on most of the roads in the country so I'm used to seeing them. We grabbed some food from the market and went to sit on the grass in the (free entry) castle. Good times all round
    Funnily enough I was just about to post because I've been out for a wander at lunch time today- it is like a different city today! You wouldn't say it was busy, but there were loads of people shopping (there were queues outside many shops), and the outdoor cafes were full. Quite nice really. I probably underestimated the effect of the weather yesterday, but believe me - it was a post-apocalypse ghost town, home only to the bin men, traps and me. It feels far more normal today. And I can see the point in that area on Castle St now that there are actually some people in the town centre to use it. It might actually be quite good, although why they put it there and not along St Mary's st is a bit of a mystery.

The yellow lines look stupid and are pointless. Why bother putting yellow markings all over the pavement to tell me I can walk both ways along it?! I'm not angry about it, it just reminds me of busy work that people in my organisation are sometimes given. Deep down everyone knows that it is a massive waste of time and money, but we all know that councils around the country are doing this because if they don't they will be marching out of step.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Funnily enough I was just about to post because I've been out for a wander at lunch time today- it is like a different city today! You wouldn't say it was busy, but there were loads of people shopping (there were queues outside many shops), and the outdoor cafes were full. Quite nice really. I probably underestimated the effect of the weather yesterday, but believe me - it was a post-apocalypse ghost town, home only to the bin men, traps and me. It feels far more normal today. And I can see the point in that area on Castle St now that there are actually some people in the town centre to use it. It might actually be quite good, although why they put it there and not along St Mary's st is a bit of a mystery.

The yellow lines look stupid and are pointless. Why bother putting yellow markings all over the pavement to tell me I can walk both ways along it?! I'm not angry about it, it just reminds me of busy work that people in my organisation are sometimes given. Deep down everyone knows that it is a massive waste of time and money, but we all know that councils around the country are doing this because if they don't they will be marching out of step.
    The Council and other local authorities could save themselves so much money if they were allowed to put up signs saying things like 'Use your Common sense' Work it out for yourself' and even 'Sometimes, things change that might be a bit of an inconvenience for a short time, It'll all be fine!' Reckon it'd work?

Totally agree with the fact the ones saying you can walk both ways are pointless, I'd argue maybe there's some benefit to the other ones, assuming at least some people adhere to them therefore creating a bit more social distancing. Can't say they bother me or "ruin the city" though, they're just some more lines on the ground.

Glad you had a better time at lunch anyway, the key factor is of course the weather

Totally agree with the fact the ones saying you can walk both ways are pointless, I'd argue maybe there's some benefit to the other ones, assuming at least some people adhere to them therefore creating a bit more social distancing. Can't say they bother me or "ruin the city" though, they're just some more lines on the ground.

Glad you had a better time at lunch anyway, the key factor is of course the weather
    Agree they don't "ruin the city", although I do think it is detremental and seems to have been put down with an unncessary degree of permanance. To be honest it would make no sense for anybody to use them when town was as quiet as it was yesterday. And the visual impact is so much greater when it is desloate. It didn't stand out anywhere near as much today, and I imagine that they may actually provide some very limited function on a busy Saturday afternoon. Yesterday it just looked like folly - planning for people who simply weren't there. I had assumed that was the new normal, but today proved me wrong. It makes a bit more sense today.

Agree they don't "ruin the city", although I do think it is detremental and seems to have been put down with an unncessary degree of permanance. To be honest it would make no sense for anybody to use them when town was as quiet as it was yesterday. And the visual impact is so much greater when it is desloate. It didn't stand out anywhere near as much today, and I imagine that they may actually provide some very limited function on a busy Saturday afternoon. Yesterday it just looked like folly - planning for people who simply weren't there. I had assumed that was the new normal, but today proved me wrong. It makes a bit more sense today.
    You should change it to Reasonable Nick mate, I think this the first time I've ever seen someone on the internet not only prepared to change their mind, but also to admit to it

You should change it to Reasonable Nick mate, I think this the first time I've ever seen someone on the internet not only prepared to change their mind, but also to admit to it
    I did it once.

Never really understand why people never admit to getting things wrong, especially on this board where "getting things wrong" is hardly a rare event.