+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just read West Ham could be in for

Re: Just read West Ham could be in for

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised to see the comments here.

When ML departed I was horrified because he was pivotal. That was a big blow.

When I saw the managers comments recently that he intended to sell more players, probably not buy any more and by this means achieve promotion, I was very concerned .

I was sad to see Etheridge go but accepted that because he was too good to be a reserve.

When they sold Callum I thought it was a huge mistake because he was the universal sticking plaster when there was a hole in the team either through injury or poor performance - a priceless asset.

Okay, now they speak of letting the captain go, and if that happens it'll be the end of all continuity and all connection with the incredible progress of the last decade. A public declaration that ambition has been abandoned.

I don't like to say it, but these are the cumulative signs of a team in its way to league one, not the Premiership. Let's hope there's a quick reversal of this negative stance and some new players brought in , or it will be too late.
    I was never expecting this season to be anything other than mid table rebuilding, perhaps that;s why im not that bothered

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    When Flint played for Bristol City we knew we would score as he turns slower than the Titanic

When Flint signed for Middlesbrough their fans couldn't care less if he left as he makes dreadful mistakes

When Flint signed for Cardiff our defence was awful as he turns slower than the Titanic and makes dreadful mistakes

In the year that has passed since he was last a regular these facts have not changed - the sooner he is gone the better

Why we brought in 4 Bristol City players when they were a worse team than us is beyond belief

And now people are saying they'll drive Morrison out of the club FFS. The guy has been our best defender year after year and you want to replace him with a League 1 carthorse or a nearly retired Bamba whose legs have gone. The reason these 2 don't play now is cos they are nowhere near good enough

Anyway it's bollox - there's no way West Ham would go in for Sean - their fans are morons and expect their club to sign Koulibaly for a gazillion pounds
    I agree with all of this.

Morrison is our best player, our captain, a leader and has been here 7(?) seasons. While we'd be stupid to turn down a silly bid, I wouldn't sell him unless it was ridiculous. Him, Smithies, Ralls and Moore are the spine we should be building around.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    No
    No. We’d be lucky to get £3m. Not that I want him to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Morrison is our best player, our captain, a leader and has been here 7(?) seasons. While we'd be stupid to turn down a silly bid, I wouldn't sell him unless it was ridiculous. Him, Smithies, Ralls and Moore are the spine we should be building around.
    I'd like to keep him but. Is he as good as he was in previous seasons? Certainly doesn't score as many and not getting any younger. Not sure how vocal he is on the pitch and surely Bamba is a big character in the changing room? If it was £4-5m let him go, similar to Marshall he'd have earned the right to get a contract/pay day in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I'd like to keep him but. Is he as good as he was in previous seasons? Certainly doesn't score as many and not getting any younger. Not sure how vocal he is on the pitch and surely Bamba is a big character in the changing room? If it was £4-5m let him go, similar to Marshall he'd have earned the right to get a contract/pay day in the Premier League.
    We haven't got a pot to piss in, we won't replace him and Bamba is done. He won't be in squads for much longer. Morrison is very vocal, you can see that and he's constantly talking to people. We've got one of the best players in his position and it's mental we would consider selling him!

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    He's 29 and he's a defender. A position that you can learn in and improve late into your career. He should be in his prime and he's probably got at least another 3 years before he shows any sign of decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We haven't got a pot to piss in, we won't replace him and Bamba is done. He won't be in squads for much longer. Morrison is very vocal, you can see that and he's constantly talking to people. We've got one of the best players in his position and it's mental we would consider selling him!
    This.

Brilliant

If we sell Morrison this late there is a small change of signing an adequate replacement and we're a team that has only picked up 4 points from possible 12. If we were guaranteed midtable finish, and rumoured fee was correct, I would take it but we're not.

Anyway, it's a rumour than won't pan out so no big deal.

Why do the advocates of selling Morrison believe the entire sum received will be spent on new players?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Morrisson is the team captain and a great Championship centre back. Obviously, he's going to have to be replaced at some point, but I don't think now is a good time. And I wouldn't trust the current regime to adequately replace him. Is it worth £10M to complete write off the season?
    In all honesty no , but the thread is an interesting debate on both sides , no one really knows how Flint would fair alongside Nelson as its not been tested for a lengthy period.

If we went up neither would be good enough in fact the back four would have to go .

As to us being relegated if Morrison went that is a huge worry , as we then have a single point of failure and I doubt we would.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised to see the comments here.

When ML departed I was horrified because he was pivotal. That was a big blow.

When I saw the managers comments recently that he intended to sell more players, probably not buy any more and by this means achieve promotion, I was very concerned .

I was sad to see Etheridge go but accepted that because he was too good to be a reserve.

When they sold Callum I thought it was a huge mistake because he was the universal sticking plaster when there was a hole in the team either through injury or poor performance - a priceless asset.

Okay, now they speak of letting the captain go, and if that happens it'll be the end of all continuity and all connection with the incredible progress of the last decade. A public declaration that ambition has been abandoned.

I don't like to say it, but these are the cumulative signs of a team in its way to league one, not the Premiership. Let's hope there's a quick reversal of this negative stance and some new players brought in , or it will be too late.
    I said last month that this squad has all the feelings of a team in decline. Having said that, would there ever be a better time to start re-building the squad into something a bit more balanced ? Providing we stay clear of a relegation battle - by no means a certainty with the current squad IMHO - the manager can use this behind-closed-doors season to put the City on a stronger footing for 9-10 months' time. Financially it's going to be make or break for many Championship clubs. Better to hibernate for the football spring, when it arrives..

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think that some people overestimate Nelson. They perhaps think that Nelson is blessed with pace, and will be able to rescue Flint when he inevitably gets caught out of position.
    I agree with you, Nelson is average.
    I can’t see Nelson improving but Morrison and Flint just doesn’t work

Huge blow if he goes.

I have to admit it took me a long time to work out who the 'pivotal' ML was. You mean Mendez-Laing? Pivotal? Surely not.

Morrison is an excellent player in the Championship, but he looked out of his depth in the Premier League a couple of seasons ago. I can't really see West Ham paying big money for him.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Does anybody on here actually believe Morrison will go to West Ham? And for £10 million?

No

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I said last month that this squad has all the feelings of a team in decline. Having said that, would there ever be a better time to start re-building the squad into something a bit more balanced ? Providing we stay clear of a relegation battle - by no means a certainty with the current squad IMHO - the manager can use this behind-closed-doors season to put the City on a stronger footing for 9-10 months' time. Financially it's going to be make or break for many Championship clubs. Better to hibernate for the football spring, when it arrives..

Good points but on the other hand we could use this strange season against clubs in a far worse situation. We've got parachute payments plus outgoing fees.
    I'm the last one to complain about Mr Tans level of investment or to demand unrealistic targets. Seems to me that this is the time to invest quite heavily though because you get a lot of bang for your buck in this market - £2m for Keifer More. The money we spent on Josh Murphy or the Fulham Rat boy would now buy good players from the premier league or abroad and only 3 or 4 good players in the right positions would braces us for a very realistic automatic promotion run.

We've nearly gotten rid of all our assets and we're at the point where rationalisation becomes liquidation if we're not careful.

To be honest, although I think the manager has done some good stuff, he's had time to settle in and not really done enough to make me think he's taking us strongly enough in the right direction.
    Sorry if all that seems a bit negative . Maybe I shouldn't have said it and part of me thinks that, but I suppose I'm venting the frustration of having gone so far under Sir Neil to be back where we started instead of developing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Does anybody on here actually believe Morrison will go to West Ham? And for £10 million?
    No

It always makes me chuckle when fans state what is an acceptable bid to them like they are FDs or CFOs of a multi million pound company.

I don’t care what the offer is we will be absolutely stark raving bonkers as a football club to sell our captain and leader Sean Morrison and promote Aden Flint back to first team starter.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It always makes me chuckle when fans state what is an acceptable bid to them like they are FDs or CFOs of a multi million pound company.

I don’t care what the offer is we will be absolutely stark raving bonkers as a football club to sell our captain and leader Sean Morrison and promote Aden Flint back to first team starter.
    This with bells on. Drives me nuts that people seem to think that money from transfers goes into a pool and the club have done well to get a certain fee.

The money goes where the owner decides. If we have a player we don’t want to lose because it makes the team weaker I don’t care what the fee is... the team is weaker as a result of the transaction.

If we got £70m for Morrison does anyone seriously think that money would be reinvested in the team?🤣... cloud cuckoo land

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    This with bells on. Drives me nuts that people seem to think that money from transfers goes into a pool and the club have done well to get a certain fee.

The money goes where the owner decides. If we have a player we don’t want to lose because it makes the team weaker I don’t care what the fee is... the team is weaker as a result of the transaction.

If we got £70m for Morrison does anyone seriously think that money would be reinvested in the team?��... cloud cuckoo land
    Living in cloud cuckoo land, I reckon if we got £70m for Morrison some of it would be reinvested in the team and the West Ham official who sanctioned the deal would be hauled off to Nurse Ratchett’s place

With any player, If you give a player a value, and the offer is way over it then every team in the country has to accept it.

The only issue I see is no way WH will offer £10m for Morrison.

Flint is not a bad defender, he’s just bloody slow

So agree with this.