I see no one answered my question about the purple pitch - I was being serious when I asked about because the rest of the picture was fine, yet the pitch really was purple. More important was the nature of the pitch - yet another one which seems purposely designed to make the game less of a spectacle. I don’t think people want to see one day games played on pitches like that - i daresay no one would mind too much if they were leading to Glamorgan wins, but I would have had no faith in this batting side reaching the target Surrey set them and two other games out of the three played have been lost feebly.

I can only think that we’re playing our home games on such poor wickets because there’s a feeling that they help drag the opposition down to our level because we’re incapable of reaching the sort of upper range scores (ie 200 plus) that Ingram especially made available to us when he was at his best.

Selection seems strange as well because, clearly we have a good T20 team at second eleven level, yet it seems almost as if we’re playing in one of those tournaments where you pick your squad at the start and then can’t bring anyone else in.

The fielding was well below the standard expected last night and, even allowing for the poor wicket, the way the modest target was approached just did not inspire confidence.

I think some realism is needed because this squad, even with some of the clearly good younger players we have at second team level in it, is not up there with the best in the country, but lessons are not being learned when it comes to the batting especially and the pitches only add to the impression that, in these times where money is so tight, people are being asked to part with quite a bit of it to watch what is a poor product.