+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Petition to try to stop the FA selling Wembley

Couldn't care less where FA Cup finals etc are played, there are plenty of historic stadiums in the country and the Millennium Stadium wasn't a bad stand in

If anything Wembley is overused, the National League playoff final between Tranmere and Boreham Wood was played at Wembley FFS! Why? Why not somewhere like Stamford Bridge where they might actually fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Couldn't care less where FA Cup finals etc are played, there are plenty of historic stadiums in the country and the Millennium Stadium wasn't a bad stand in

If anything Wembley is overused, the National League playoff final between Tranmere and Boreham Wood was played at Wembley FFS! Why? Why not somewhere like Stamford Bridge where they might actually fill it?
    Ask the players and fans of the teams who get to play there whether they would prefer to play it at a different smaller stadium and see what answer you get.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Ask the players and fans of the teams who get to play there whether they would prefer to play it at a different smaller stadium and see what answer you get.
    If you offered them cheaper tickets at a smaller venue they'd take it. Boreham Wood & Tranmere fans were going on about it over the weekend

There's no mystique to the stadium, its in the middle of nowhere and is a corporate bowl. Its riding on the coattails of its predecessor and has cost far too much and they charge far too much for tickets to cover costs.

If you offered them cheaper tickets at a smaller venue they'd take it. Boreham Wood & Tranmere fans were going on about it over the weekend

There's no mystique to the stadium, its in the middle of nowhere and is a corporate bowl. Its riding on the coattails of its predecessor and has cost far too much and they charge far too much for tickets to cover costs.
    No mystique to the stadium !!. You are joking arent you ?. It is still the second biggest stadium in Europe. The facilities in the ground are second to none. Why does it matter where it is located - it is on the site of the original ground. Just because its is inconvenient for you to get to, doesn't mean its not still an iconic ground. Loads of fans moaned about the Millenium stadium when it was used instead, due to inaccessibility and parking issues but I guess you found it good because you were nearer to it, so thats ok.

No mystique to the stadium !!. You are joking arent you ?. It is still the second biggest stadium in Europe. The facilities in the ground are second to none. Why does it matter where it is located - it is on the site of the original ground. Just because its is inconvenient for you to get to, doesn't mean its not still an iconic ground. Loads of fans moaned about the Millenium stadium when it was used instead, due to inaccessibility and parking issues but I guess you found it good because you were nearer to it, so thats ok.
    Inaccessibility? Its in the middle of a feckin city centre!

No, there isn't anything special about the new Wembley Stadium, its an average modern stadium riding on the coattails of its predecessor. When its used as the stadium for the final of the Checkatrade Trophy and Tottenham Hotspur home game, it loses any kind of mystique it has in my view

Of course it matters where its located, an occasion such as a cup final isn't 90 minutes, its a full day, you don't want the stadium to be in the middle of nowhere

That final comment is a load of bollocks, the Millennium gets rave reviews from visiting fans and is known as a great venue to watch sport, be it football or rugby

Inaccessibility? Its in the middle of a feckin city centre!

No, there isn't anything special about the new Wembley Stadium, its an average modern stadium riding on the coattails of its predecessor. When its used as the stadium for the final of the Checkatrade Trophy and Tottenham Hotspur home game, it loses any kind of mystique it has in my view

Of course it matters where its located, an occasion such as a cup final isn't 90 minutes, its a full day, you don't want the stadium to be in the middle of nowhere

That final comment is a load of bollocks, the Millennium gets rave reviews from visiting fans and is known as a great venue to watch sport, be it football or rugby
    Yeah right - for big games, the City is gridlocked, the M4 blocked for miles each way and there is nowhere to park. Trains dont run for long after games and there are not enough buses. Also I repeat that the Millenium stadium is not a football stadium, the WRU dont want it there really and only their financial situation forces them to lease it out. My assessment, apparently unlike yours, of a stadium isnt based upon the proximity to bars and pubs where supporters can get bladdered before the game and thereby probably not remember what the stadium was like inside anyway.

Yeah right - for big games, the City is gridlocked, the M4 blocked for miles each way and there is nowhere to park. Trains dont run for long after games and there are not enough buses. Also I repeat that the Millenium stadium is not a football stadium, the WRU dont want it there really and only their financial situation forces them to lease it out. My assessment, apparently unlike yours, of a stadium isnt based upon the proximity to bars and pubs where supporters can get bladdered before the game and thereby probably not remember what the stadium was like inside anyway.
    I'm confused are you saying it's ok for 75k rugby fans but there's too much traffic, not enough trains and nowhere to park for 75k football fans?

Every fan I've spoken to who's team has played at The Millennium said they preferred it to the New Wembley and would have the games back there at the drop of a hat.

Clearly the fans you've spoken to have the same rose tinted glasses as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Every fan I've spoken to who's team has played at The Millennium said they preferred it to the New Wembley and would have the games back there at the drop of a hat.

Clearly the fans you've spoken to have the same rose tinted glasses as you.
    Nicholas Alt wrote in his book 'The boys from the Mersey' , sod Wembley, give the cup finals to the Taffs, he said the scousers loved it playing at the mill stad, they had nothing but praise for our fine city and the stadium.

I'd rather go to spurs new stadium, the Emirates, old Trafford,st James park, Stamford bridge, villa park