+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Frederic Guilbert

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Frederic Guilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Every player we are linked with is very similar and Harris has only signed one dud. He's got Ojo, Wilson, Moore, JOT, Adomah, Sanderson and Smith right. He wants attacking full backs and wingers that can play. They're taking a calculated gamble on Watters but I'm genuinely excited about it. It's better than the crushing disappointment of signing Flint for 6m and then him being exactly what you expected.
    Sometimes we have people asking why we didn't sign Gunter over the summer. In hindsight it's a position we probably needed more cover in but that's because Bacuna is needed in midfield and not because he doesn't fit the RB role this team employs. If we assume Bennett (trusted to play at CB on last weekend) and Bagan (played CB at youth level, may end up there for senior side) are going to be our LB's next year then it suggests we've got an identity for that area of the pitch too.

Regarding Harris' transfer activity as a whole, I'm not sure extending Nelson will be seen as good in a few years but think it was the right move at the time and the rest of the activity has been good despite reducing squad depth for this year being a risk. Moodybluebird's post (and I'm paraphrasing) above that the lingering question is whether we have the right manager to bring out the best of them when they're through the door is, I think, a fair one.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Sometimes we have people asking why we didn't sign Gunter over the summer. In hindsight it's a position we probably needed more cover in but that's because Bacuna is needed in midfield and not because he doesn't fit the RB role this team employs. If we assume Bennett (trusted to play at CB on last weekend) and Bagan (played CB at youth level, may end up there for senior side) are going to be our LB's next year then it suggests we've got an identity for that area of the pitch too.

Regarding Harris' transfer activity as a whole, I'm not sure extending Nelson will be seen as good in a few years but think it was the right move at the time and the rest of the activity has been good despite reducing squad depth for this year being a risk. Moodybluebird's post (and I'm paraphrasing) above that the lingering question is whether we have the right manager to bring out the best of them when they're through the door is, I think, a fair one.
    In fairness, not signing a right back was mental at the time and has been proven as such. He also rushed back JOT (and has done again).

We had to extend Nelson, he signed a 2 year deal and he is still our second best centre back. He's a defender's defender and we couldn't risk letting him walk for free next summer. Whether Harris is the right man is very much up for debate but his recruitment has been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    In fairness, not signing a right back was mental at the time and has been proven as such. He also rushed back JOT (and has done again).

We had to extend Nelson, he signed a 2 year deal and he is still our second best centre back. He's a defender's defender and we couldn't risk letting him walk for free next summer. Whether Harris is the right man is very much up for debate but his recruitment has been pretty good.
    Harris obviously thought Bacuna who has played RB for Villa and Reading in the Premier League would be an able backup but like when he plays in midfield he is inconsistent!