Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I don't charge a fee based on an hourly rate. I worked on Tuerto's FH for five weeks - using so many hours a day. It came in at 77 A4 pages and included family trees, copies of census returns, parish records, birth,marriage and death certs, maps, photos of family homes, a laminated sheet of the tree (to assist with getting bearings - essential IMO), photos of ancestors and dozens of press cuttings (one occupied a whole page of one newspaper).

My usual method of working is to send/deliver the report and ask what clients think it's worth to them. And then there is an exchange of messages. The objective being to arrive at price that is acceptible to both parties. I want clients to be delighted with a personal report at a reasonable price. Usually, it works out at far less than I am offered. I'm not in it to make money, but to offer a service and keep the grey cells working. I also enjoy the detective work and the thrill of the chase.

If there are any charges for certificates, wills etc, then they are extra.
I don't expect you to tell us how much Tuerto's was but say something that you worked on for 4 weeks, and 50 pages, what's rough idea? I genuinely don't have a clue, it sounds like a hell of lot of work which should be compensated fairly but also will never be high up on my personal financial priority list so it's difficult to answer the "what is it worth to you question"

ONE MILLION POUNDS AND NOT A PENNY MORE